Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and PEI (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/newfoundland-nova-scotia-and-pei-671406/)

angeliclovebug Jan 18th, 2007 07:55 AM

Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and PEI

We spent 2 weeks in Nova Scotia last August/September. We loved it so much that we have now booked the month of June off to go to Newfoundland, a little more of Nova Scotia and 3 days in PEI. We chose June because I wanted to see iceburgs in Newfoundland. I understand that June could be quite foggy. We will be flying into Halifax from Vancouver. I also understand that if you rent a car in Newfoundland you do not get unlimited mileage. Anyone know for sure? That being said we thought that we should rent a car in Halifax and drive to Sydney, take the ferry to Port Aux Basque and then start our journey across Newfoundland. Depending on the weather will dictate how long we spend in Newfoundland. We do not intend to return so need to see everything worth seeing this trip if the weather co-operates. I am hoping for 10 days left to do a little more of Nova Scotia and PEI also on this trip. Any comments on the travel part would be appreciated. I understand that ideally it is best to land in Deer Lake and leave from St. John's but this seems impossible if you rent a car in Halifax.

SusanInToronto Jan 18th, 2007 08:07 AM

Renting a car in Halifax might be a good idea. I read recently that even with reservations, you may not get a car in Nfld when you want it because of high demand and low supply.

Can't offer much advice - we're also talking about going to Nova Scotia and PEI again this year (we were there a few years ago). We've decided to postpone Nfld for another trip, since we'll be driving from Toronto and that'll take up some time.

angeliclovebug Jan 18th, 2007 08:20 AM

Thanks Susan, I also remember reading that now that you mention it. Newfoundland is one of those provinces where it seems like it is a drive, drive situation, that is why it is important to have unlimited mileage I think.

klam_chowder Jan 18th, 2007 10:52 AM

If you don't plan to go to NF again, I'd forego NS & PEI and spend it all in NF. It is a magical place and you will fill a month there easily, if you like to hike you will be tormented on all that you can NOT do in that timeframe.

Def. get an unlimited mileage car - our 17 day (?) week trip put 5,000+ km on our car! I heard one of the major car rental companies (starts with an A?) does unlimited mileage rentals - a quick on-line search of the major rental agencies will confirm this.

If you do drive from Halifax, take the ferry one way and come back on the other side (to save yourself backtracking across the island). For example, Port aux Basque one way and Placentia the other (bear in mind they're 7 and 14 hr sailings).

If you do a search this forum under NF (at the top of this screen) you will get A LOT of info you can use to build upon, and then post specific questions as you fine tune your itinerary.

Enjoy-la!

angeliclovebug Jan 18th, 2007 12:02 PM

Thank you so much klam_chowder. We don't want to do any hiking because of health issues but do love the ocean. Want to see the iceburgs and the puffins and hear good music and eat healthy food.

jannieween Jan 18th, 2007 01:58 PM

Best of luck on never returning....You will love it so much you will return...I was in Nfld last summer and cannot wait to return..I landed in Deerlake and flew out of St.John's...Loved every minute especially the people....Enjoy!

angeliclovebug Jan 18th, 2007 05:54 PM

Thanks jannieween
I was thinking of not returning only because we are just starting to travel and the world is soooo big. I am going back to Nova Scotia as I do really love it there. I guess getting to Newfoundland just seems a little more remote. Did you rent a car with unlimited mileage?

jannieween Jan 19th, 2007 07:06 AM

If you loved Nova Scotia, Nfld will amaze you....I am sure we rented an unlimited milage car....not sure what kind just know we couldn't get a convertable. I did my research and found the best deal...Hubby says it may have been Discount or National....not sure...good luck!

angeliclovebug Jan 19th, 2007 07:42 AM

Thanks jannieween
I will make some phone calls to the car rentals and see what I can find out.