Charlevoix, Quebec Trip from Boston

Old Aug 12th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlevoix, Quebec Trip from Boston

Hi. My wife and I are driving from Boston to La Malbai, Quebec, CA in August. We are staying at the Fairmont Le Richelieux along the St. Lawrence. We have been to several places in Canada and love the beautiful scenery, great food, and friendly people. We have been to Banff, Jasper, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, and Mt. Tremblant.

Could anybody recommend:
A scenic drive from Boston to there?
A place somewhere half-way between that would be a nice place to stay overnight since it is a long drive?
Things to do in Charlevoix?
Is there good hiking? We enjoy easy to moderate hikes with beautiful scenery.
Recommended places to eat? We love Seafood, fresh vegetables, nice drinks, and craft beer.
Other?
Thanks, W
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Hello,

I just posted our trip report to the Charlevoix if you click on my name! Can't help with the drive from Boston to Charlevoix but for hiking I recommend the Parc des Hauts Gorges de la Malbaie which is about 45 minutes from your hotel. Bring a bathing suit so you can also swim/kayak/canoe in the riviere Malbaie. Gorgeous scenery! Another park we didn't visit but I heard was also nice is the Parc des Grands jardins - heard the Lac des Cygnes trail was nice.

Great food in Charlevoix - local products or "produits du terroir". There is a great place that smokes fish (Fumoir st antoine) and restaurants will have seafood from further north up the coast (matane shrimps, whelks (bourgauts)). TONS of microbreweries in the area as well as many farms.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Sounds great! We love to canoe so will take you up on your advice.

Thank you so much.

What do you think about Marine park? Is it worth the drive from where we are staying?

Thanks again, W
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 04:59 PM

Hello,

Not sure what you mean the marine park - do you mean driving up to Baie-Ste-Catherine/Tadoussac where the Saguenay fjord meets the St. Lawrence? If you are very interested in whale watching it may be worth it for you. It's about 1.5 hours from where you are staying. We were in the area in any event but hadn't made a special trip. We were able to see whales from one of the observation centres right on the shore (Pointe-Noire) which was kind of cool! There are busloads of tourists who come from as far as way as Quebec city for the day to do these whale watching excursions (either by large boat or zodiac) to this area. But maybe if you are from Boston you have done similar tours? We drove up into the fjord which was kind of cool because it is the only fjord in North America. But I think it depends on your interests and if it's worth the drive. You will have plenty to do in Charlevoix for a few days!
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jacolis. First I want to say that your replies are so helpful and we want to thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Yes, the area that I was questioning was the Saguenay-St Lawrence Marine Park. It looks so nice and we don't mind the 1.5 hour drive if we have the chance to see whales. Also, the Fjord sounds terrific. I think we will make a day of it. The one thing I forgot to mention was that we are staying in Charlevoix for 5 nights. Is that a good amount or too long? We want to hike, see the scenic sights, and relax a little by the pool. Are we missing any must do's? Thanks again, we really appreciate yours and all others advice. W
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 02:18 PM

Hi again,

I think 5 nights will be great. You may want to devote a day to each of the parks for hiking (Hauts Gorges de la Malbaie) and Grand Jardins (Lac des Cygnes). Then one day to do whale watching and also drive to inland a bit to see the fjord. And then you will want to see Baie St Paul and some of the agro-tourism (cheese shops, etc). And some chilling time at the hotel!
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Sounds perfect!!!

Thank you so much. W