Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Newfoundland (Avalon Peninsula) in August
Notices

Newfoundland (Avalon Peninsula) in August

Jun 5th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Newfoundland (Avalon Peninsula) in August

What are some things we "have to" do on Avalon Peninsula and the surrounding area in August. We'll be there for 2 weeks beginning August 9th this summer. Also from there where can we see whales and icebergs best at that time as we won't be going over to the western side of Nfld.
So looking forward to this trip. I was born there but have never been back since I was about 3. My dad was stationed in St. John's back then.
Thanks for any thoughts.
SueJulene
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Sue Julene,

For icebergs - you MIGHT possibly have a chance if you journey 6 hours or so north to Twillingate - but chances are not good.

There still should be humpback whales around Witless Bay. There are several tour companies offering trips to the area. O' Brien's out of Bay Bulls is always a good choice.
You might also see whales anywhere along the coast.

Some of the favourite scenic / historic locations in the area are Signal Hill in St. John's [try to check out the military tattoo], Cape Spear, just south of St. John's "the most easterly point in Canada" and also scenic and historic. There is an exhibit of lighthouse paintings there through the summer.
The road looping down through Petty Harbour from near Cape Spear is scenic and Petty Harbour is a traditional -looking fishing village.

Going south from St. John's the archeological dig at Ferryland [early 1600's] is interesting.

Near Trepassey you have a good chance of seeing Woodland Caribou near St. Shott's and especially on the little track road through the 'barrens' to pretty Cape Pine.

Cape Race has a scenic lighthouse, splendid views and plenty of history. The wireless station there received the first news of the Titanic. This is a good spot to see whales, as are Capes Pine and St. Mary's

Cape St. Mary's is a Canadian treasure - an absolute must -see. The gannets defy description and the stroll out to Bird Rock among the sheep and wildflowers is a delight. The Cape also has a very good interpretive centre and gift shop.

Placentia and Argentia are celebrating
their french heritage this summer. The area has a strong US Military connection.
The hilly road from St. Bride's [near Cape St. Mary's] to Plencentia on a clear day or when the fog is rolling in and out is one of my favourite drives anywhere.

The Brigus Blueberry Festival is on during your visit - wonderful music and games, etc in a pretty town.

St. John's and immediate area is steeped in history......I could continue for pages.

Your most important MUST DO in Newfoundland. Stop at local museums, craft shops and restaurants - talk to the people there. The stories, smiles and genuine hospitality you will find will warm your heart, and, I am willing to bet, will be your trip highlight.

Cheers

Jerry
Jun 6th, 2004, 09:01 PM

I've been out several times ...and will also be there in early August. The Brigus Blueberry Festival is a "must-do"...Terra Nova if you golf ... does anyone have any input on whether it's worthwhile to go over to St. Pierre et Miquelon?
Jun 7th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi gannetmusic,
And as for music I have heard that Shipps Inn is a must do.. any other suggestions. My husband is a musician and we LOVE music of most sorts..not into rap much though.

I got some info here when I first came in and thought I'd pick people's brains a bit more since our trip is getting closer and plans are getting more detailed now.

Thanks for any and all tidbits you might be able to pass on. I bought "Come near at your peril" which was interesting.

St. Pierre and Miquelon.. sounds like one would need a passport to go over and back..right?

Search this Thread