Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

need suggestions on how to get from the victoria ferry to a hotel (suggestions pls) for one night

Search

need suggestions on how to get from the victoria ferry to a hotel (suggestions pls) for one night

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:14 AM
ltt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my family is planning on going to mayne island this summer. however, the flights that are available to us do not arrive until after 9:00 p.m. so we thought we would just stay one night in/near victoria and catch the ferry the next day. my questions are:
is there a shuttle service from the terminal to victoria?
if we need to take a taxi, do you know the approximate cost to downtown victoria?
can you recommend a decent hotel/motel for one night? don't want to spend too much since it's just for one night but needs to be clean and in a safe area? (closer to the terminal the better if we need to taxi it there.)
thanks very much
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:42 AM

If all you want to do is spend the night before you get on the ferry to Mayne, I'd suggest the Quality Inn Waddling Dog. It's right on the highway, about 5 minutes from the airport and maybe 20 minutes from the ferry terminal at Swartz Bay. They have a website and they're very reasonably priced; the rates include breakfast. It's a neat place; they actually have a resident "waddling dog," a basset hound named John. You can take him for walks if you want.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Itt-I'm also planning a trip to Victoria this summer. Will be flying from Calgary directly into Victoria, but will be taking the ferry back to Vancouver and planning to use Pacific Coach Lines for the ferry and transportation. They have quite a few pickup stops in Victoria. Cost is about $60 CD per person. You might want to check them out www.pacificcoach.com.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 11:09 AM

No need to take a taxi from the airport to Victoria. The AKAL bus stops at many hotels for much less.
http://www.akalairporter.travel.bc.ca/

However, you could just stay at the Best Western and a Travelodge in Sidney, which would be much closer to the airport and ferry terminal.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Have to agree with the other posters, stay out at Sydney as its much closer to both the airport and ferry terminal. One question - how are you getting to the ferry to Mayne Island, are you renting a car?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:57 AM

I'm CONFUSED!!! Are we talking about VICTORIA CANADA OR AUSTRALIA on this post????
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM

The ferry terminal in Victoria BC is within walking distance of downtown and there are accommodations within sight of the terminal. When we took the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, we arrived an hour before loading and barely got our car on as many groups park in the terminal lot the night previous to hold their spot and then stay in the surrounding hotel properties. Unfortunately I did not make mental note of the names of those establishments.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:20 AM

The downtown ferry terminal isn't the one being asked about - the ferry to Mayne Island goes from Swartz Bay which is up the peninsula about 30 -45 minutes from downtown.