Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is a Good Amount of Time to Allot for Butchart Gardens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about visiting Seattle and Victoria this summer; my plan would be to stay in downtown Victoria for perhaps 3 days. I would not be renting a car in Victoria, so my thought is to take the #75 bus to Butchart Gardens or bike if that's doable and I can find a bike rental place. My question is: are the gardens somewhere I would want to plan to spend the better part of a day (maybe bring a picnic lunch, if that's allowed?) or somewhere to spend a half-hour or an hour give or take? Since I'm planning a few days in Victoria, it's not something I would *have to* rush like some day-trippers. If the gardens are expansive enough and in a beautiful setting, I could definitely be the type to "mosey slowly" and appreciate the flowers, other plants and surrounding scenery of well-done gardens. Consider that I have no idea when I might make it back to Victoria (coming from Quebec).

Thanks! DAN
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Unless you're a really good biker and don't mind biking along a major highway, I'd take the bus. Even walking quickly and not stopping to "smell the flowers" it takes about one hour to walk through the entire gardens. Its about a 20 minute drive from downtown Victoria (city bus would take longer). Yes you can take your own picnic in to eat or there are several places to buy a lunch - from the expensive dining room to hot dogs from cart vendors. To really enjoy it, I would allow at least two hours in the gardens themselves, plus travel time.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you cruiseryyc! I'll plan 2+ hrs. for the gardens!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM

You can bike on the back streets and onto West Saanich Road to avoid the highway or take the Lochside Trail and cross the highway. Either way it would be a long ride.

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/park_maps...chside_map.pdf

Is renting a car out of the question? You could make a day of visiting Butchart's and touring the peninsula. Butchart's has a nice cafe. Or you could stop at Mattick's Farm on Cordova Bay Road for ice cream, Hill Top Chocolate & Dessert Cafe at 6991 East Saanich Road for muffins, Lunn's Bakery on Beacon Avenue in Sidney for a light lunch, to name a few.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm... biking is something I love to do; as soon as the weather warms up to above zero here in Montreal, I'll be back at it again. I'm used to biking on streets; this is how I get around the city for the most part in summer and fall in fact. I regularly do 2 hour rides for exercise if I get a nice day. As long as Victorians are used to bicyclists (and the hills are not too brutal), I might be tempted to bike out.

Thank you for the bicycle route links and all those food suggestions (I won't be renting a car, but who knows, I might bike on over)!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM

I think allowing 2 hours would be ok, but Butchart is special.

I am not a garden person but that place forces an exception! It is a masterpiece.

If you get caught up in taking pictures, then 2 hours will not be enough.

I cannot think of a better place on the island to spend more than 2 hours unless it is the museum downtown near the harbor. That place, too, is very well done.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM

Bikes can be rented behind the Empress Hotel. They could probably map out a route for you.
http://www.cyclebc.ca/

Unfortunately you'd have to get all the way through town to get to the trail. Some streets do have bicycle lanes. It might be a thought to take a bus that has the bike carrier part of the way, then cycle the rest.

Lots of people cycle on the Lochside Trail and that part should be pleasant. Here is another map.
http://www.gvcc.bc.ca/recrides/rides202.jpg

You could cross the highway at Island View Road, then go up the hill which would put you conveniently by the chocolate shop (mmm-muffins). There are a few different routes to the end of Benvenuto where Butchart's is, some more scenic (and hilly) than others.

Could be a fun excursion!
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughts. I ended up spending around 2 hours in Butchart and could easily have spent more!

BTW I went with BC Cycles as suggested and loved the roads by the Juan de Fuca Strait (not path, but not crowded) for cycling.

Thanks to all. DAN

Victoria Trip Report

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35141002
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Dan, i see u r a bicyclist. did u have a chance to enjoy any of our longer distance bicycle trails:

Lochside Trail from downtown ( via Galloping Goose) to ferry terminal in Swartz Bay or

thw Galloping Goose from downtown out west past Sooke ( 80 km i think)

if not u may have to come back

cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM

I have to agree with Bob Brown -- we typically spend 1/2 day at Butchart. We could easily spend the entire day if we were to dine at their restaurant or do a picnic. Yes, we do take a lot of pictures. But also there are places where you just want to sit and enjoy the view or examine something of special interest. Then there's the gift shop; I keep thinking that if I just buy their seeds, then MY garden could look like that!