Need Info on Canadian Rockies

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 06:57 AM
Skip

Need Info on Canadian Rockies

We are planning on going to the Canadian Rockies this July for about 2 weeks. Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Moraine Lake Lodge looks spectacular, but pricey. Any other hotels/lodges have similar views which are less expensive? Many people have suggested staying in Canmore over Banff because it is less crowded, and less touristy-Any thoughts?<BR>Any suggestions around Lake Louise, and Jasper? We like hiking, but besides that what other activities could you suggest? Any help would be appreciated. <BR><BR>Thanks, Skip

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:07 PM
Bob Brown

Skip, I have my own ideas about the place. You are right Moraine Lake Lodge is pricey. So are several other places in that area. <BR><BR>If you wish, email me directly. I am not sure my ideas are of genera interest and I don't want to start broadcasting; I prefer to respond to specifics. <BR><BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:43 PM
April

Broadcast away. I'll be in the Rockies in June. By the way, what does moraine mean?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:52 PM
Robyn

Moraine: An accumulation of boulders, stones, or other debris carried and deposited by a glacier.<BR><BR

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:54 PM
robyn

BTW - there are such things as "moraine lakes". Lake Okanagan in BC is considered a moraine lake. When the glacier melts, it deposits moraine. Sometimes the moraine would accumulate and would block the rest of the water from flowing, hence the formation of a lake.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 06:11 PM
April

Thanks Robyn.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:33 AM
Bob Brown

There are several types of moraines.<BR>Terminal moraines are, as described, the glacial till deposited by a melting glacier. The rocks and gravel picked up and pulverized by the glacier fall out of course when the ice melts.<BR>Lateral moraines are formed along the side of the glacier as the rocky debris is released from the ice. There are also other types of moraines that have some rather arcane definitions.<BR>Geologists get sort of fussy over the difference between a kame and an esker.<BR>I gave up on that stuff.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:55 PM
Robyn

Yikes! I'm having visions of grade 12 geography all over again.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:23 PM
April

Thanks Bob. <BR>Sorry to get off on a tangent on your thread though, Skip. I too was considering the Moraine Lake Lodge but decided against it after someone here talked about all the tourists cluttering up the place in the daytime. I hope somebody can advise you.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:24 AM
heidi

skip, I took a rocky mountaineer rail trip through the canadian rockies. the rail offers a wide variety of safe suggestions for places to stay and they can assist you with hotel. however, emerald lake lodge is just fine and the staff friendly and helpful. you can rent canoes from here. In lake louisa, Lodge of the Ten Peaks at the base of the gondola is a great place. be sure to take a snocoach tour on abernathy glacier. banff has many comparable places to stay and visiting the cave & basin site is fun. just don't taste the underground springs because the water tastes like chlorine must to my chagrin! taking the gondola up the side of sulphur mountain in banff will yield some great camera taking scenery as well as a few good hiking trails. all the canadian national parks are very well preserved and offer good hiking trails as well as national historic sites. be sure to call grayline for their packages to various scenic sites. I took grayline everywhere and they did a really nice job of offering affordable tourist packages that include stops for meals and picture taking and so on. I ended up down in calgary, but I don't know if you want to go that route. in jaspar, the mount robson inn or the mountain park lodges are fine places to stay. driving and walking the skyline trail off Highway 16 around maligne canyon adn lake and medicine lake will yield a memorable day. Pack a picnic lunch and think romance! you can explore british columbia on the internet: www.bcadventure.com. this network is complete with accomodations, campgrounds, parks, points of interest, history, lakes, etc. More adventurous folks who like helicopter rides and white water rafting can call Rocky Mountain Unlimited at 1-888-SUNDOG1. (If possible don't miss takakkaw falls in yoho national park. a historical hotel in jasper is the Athabasca with solid stone fireplaces and hunting trophies.) Good Luck and have a great trip! Heidi

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:47 PM
JIm

Hi Skip!<BR>We went there last year. We stayed at the Mountaineer Lodge in Lake Louise. Basic hotel/motel room but very clean,reasonable and right in the heart of things. Theres not much in Lake Louise! In Jasper we stayed in " The Raven" B&B. It was GREAT and the Jones's are a fantastic family. Canmore is much more laid back and just as much fun as Banff and a lot less expensive. We stayed in " The Homestead B&B". It likewise was a very fine experience.Canadian B&B"s are a great way to go cost wise and you get to meet some really fine folks.<BR>Jim