Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need help to find train from Toronto to Halifax

Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will travel with my fiance from Toronto to Halifax in April, need help to find the least expensive way to travel from Toronto to Halifax. We are thinking of train, thinking train maybe cheaper than airplane (we are on tight budget), but we don't know how long it takes from Toronto to Halifax and fare?
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:26 PM

I just checked on the Westjet Airlines website and if you are flexible in you dates in April, there were many flights available for $99. Im pretty sure this would be cheaper than the train.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM

It looks like it will take more than 24 hours by train and you'll probably have to stop over in Montreal.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM

www.viarail.ca
Round trip sitting upright for 30 hours (including the Montreal stopover) will set you back $472.50 each.
Check out that westjet site.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:01 AM

Also check out Porter Airlines. They fly from the island airport in downtown Toronto. I've used them to travel to NY and it's a lovely way to fly. Everyone's treated like a first-class passenger.

I don't think the train will be cheaper than flying and it takes so long.

Look at www.flyporter.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:44 AM

Hi

I'm a train lover and I'd recommend people who want a special trip to take this journey, as it passes by some beautiful sections of North America (Lake Ontario, Matapedia Valley, Baie des Chaleurs, the lakes and Bedford Basin coming into Halifax, etc...).

HOWEVER, it's not for those who wish to travel between Toronto and Halifax on a tight budget (or a schedule). For this to be an enjoyable journey, my high recommendations only come for people willing to travel by sleeper for the Montreal-Halifax leg (at least I only sleep well horizontally). For those who are able to relax for a day and just appreciate the journey for what it is (rather than those who are constantly looking at their watch and thinking: when are we going to get there?), it is indeed a beautiful, memorable experience.

This experience, sadly, comes with a price tag... Even "Comfort Class" (read:economy) all the way (where only those that can sleep in a slightly inclined position might enjoy) will be more expensive than flying.

Train lover though I am, I'm with the others, flying is probably your best "budget" bet (I suspect it's less than even the bus, such are the distances!). If you like the idea of this train journey, wait and do this trip one day when the funds and time are allocated to make it a special event on VIA Easterly Class sleeper.

All the best, Daniel
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all replying. We've never experienced train in Canada. I just checked viarail.ca this morning, and found "comfort discount" tickets for $200 each, not sure what "comfort discount" means, guess that's the cheapest rate only sleep on chair, not beds at all? if so, then that's gonna to be really uncomfortable.

I will check the airlines. Thanks again.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM

In addition to Westjet and Porter don't ignore Air Canada.

Porter's Halifax service is limited to weekends. The planes are turboprop (propeller) and need to stop in Ottawa for fuel making this a longer trip than WJ or AC. That said they do offer good service on comfortable planes.

This is simply too long a trip for train to make sense unless one is train enthusiast. Bus might be the cheapest but I would not want to be on a bus for that long. Try www.greyhound.ca if interested.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

what is the websit for westjet airline?
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM

www.westjet.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

I found site for westjet but for aircanada, seems there is a problem to access their site today....bump...
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM

www.aircanada.com is working fine right now.