Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need 4 or 5 star lodging in Banff/Lake Louise for family (condo or villa)

Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a nice guest ranch, cabins, condos, etc. in the Lake Louise/Banff area. We are considering a visit there in June but with our girls ages 10 and 13, we prefer to having full living quarters. We like to cook or own meals and have some space to decompress without being on top of one another while we are in the room.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM

Have a look here - http://www.discoveralberta.com/ under lodging.

One Christmas my family stayed in townhouses on Tunnel Mountain Road but I'm not of the name now.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM

The Lake Louise Inn has some condo-type units, but I don't think they are four star. The Post Hotel and the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise would be the nicest places to stay in Lake Louise. Paradise Bungalows or some of the other cabin resort properties in the park might have what you are looking for (Baker Creek Bungalows is one I know of but there are others.)

Some of the hotels in Banff have condo-style units as well, but sorry, I'm not familiar enough with the hotels there to know which ones. You can find hotel listings for the area at www.banfflakelouise.com .

There are no guest ranches (or ranches of any kind) in the national parks - the land outside the town of Banff or village of Lake Louise is all protected wilderness, except for just a few cabin resort properties.

The town of Canmore, which is about a ten minute drive east of Banff sits just outside the park, and has more accommodation options. There are a number of vacation rental properties there.
Apr 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input on lodging choices. Has anyone ever stayed at Banff Caribou Lodge or Buffalo Mountain Lodge? Both look fairly nice online but I'm looking for actual comments from guest who have stayed there.
Apr 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Check out the hotel reviews at www.tripadvisor.com
Apr 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Don't just go by the prices quoted at those online "accomodation" sites: use them to select which places you are interested in and then check the individual hotel websites directly and you may be pleasantly surprised by what you see: we found a really nice room at the Rundlestone last year for just $100/night which is about 1/2 of the "high season" rate (mind you, this was for April). You didn't say when you are going so just know that has a very significant effect on the pricing you'll be quoted as well as availability.