Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   National Park fees for Banff, Jasper and Yoho (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/national-park-fees-for-banff-jasper-and-yoho-408220/)

Mazey Mar 8th, 2004 06:59 AM

National Park fees for Banff, Jasper and Yoho

We are in the midst of planning our honeymoon to the Canadian Rockies in September. I was wondering, do we pay a separate entrance fee to each national park? We will be spending a day (maybe two, weather pending) exploring Yoho out of our base at Lake Louise, and two nights each in Banff and Jasper.

Do we pay a fee every time we enter each park, and do we pay some sort of two day fee when we stay in (for instance) Banff for 2 nights?

Is it more economical to buy a season pass? We are debating this since we spend a lot of time in Nova Scotia anyway and would like to explore Kejimkujik (I must have butchered that spelling, lol).

Cat123 Mar 8th, 2004 07:13 AM

A family season passs is about 89 dollars, I think which is not a bad deal. You can get more info at www.parkscanada.ca.

Judy_in_Calgary Mar 8th, 2004 08:10 AM

Mazey, as you'll see from the website to which Cat123 pointed you, the entry fee to the national parks is $7.00 per day per adult.

That fee is good for all the national parks. In other words, if you pay the fee as you enter Banff National Park, and you then cross over into Yoho National Park or Jasper National Park the same day, you do not have to pay a fee again as you cross over into the other national park.

The $89 annual pass to which Cat123 referred is a good deal, in that it admits a vehicle containing up to 7 people to any one of 27 national parks for an entire year.

The year is not a calendar year, but is counted from the time that the pass was purchased. So a pass that you buy on, say, June 17, 2004, is good until June 16, 2005.

If two people are going to be in the national parks for 4 days, and they know they will not be returning to the Canadian national parks again for a year, it's cheaper for them to pay 4 day passes for 2 people (4 x 2 x $7.00 = $56.00 total).

If there is a chance of using the Canadian parks system again within the next 365 days, as there appears to be in your case, the $89 annual pass seems to me to be the better deal.

Mazey Mar 8th, 2004 08:17 AM

"That fee is good for all the national parks. In other words, if you pay the fee as you enter Banff National Park, and you then cross over into Yoho National Park or Jasper National Park the same day, you do not have to pay a fee again as you cross over into the other national park."

This is exactly the info I could not find on the Parks Canada webpage. Thank you very much! We will have to figure out how much use we will get out of the pass, besides just this trip.

Cheers!

Borealis Mar 8th, 2004 06:17 PM

As Judy said - the park pass is good for all the national parks in Canada, and that means all parks from coast to coast to coast!!! (I just checked what it said on the back of ours :-) !!)