Name of Falls on the Icefields Parkway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two unnamed falls that I am trying to identify.

We saw the first one as we were making the climb up the road to the Bridal Veil Falls overlook. It was in the area where there is a big bend in the parkway. Going in the direction from Banff to Jasper, you can't see the falls until you're making the climb and then only if you happen to look back. It looked to be a pretty big waterfall.

The second one was on a trail in the Bridal Veil Parking Lot. There was no sign leading to it. We sort of stumbled on to it when we went exploring amongst the trees on our lunch break. We saw these falls from the top only, so I'm not sure how big they are. But the water flowing over the cliff was quite strong. I have come across a few mentions of a Panther Falls in this area, so I'm wondering if what we saw were the headwaters of Panther Falls.

Any help from the experts would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM

Sounds like Panther Falls to me.
If you walked down the hill from low end of the parking lot at Sunwapta Pass to a view point that was very wet, that was indeed Panther Falls. They are the highest in Banff NP.

The ones you saw from the top are probably the same one, only from the top down as opposed to bottom up.

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Bob, I agree that the falls we saw from the top are Panther Falls.

I did a bit more research last night using the Saskatchewan Glacier Trailhead as a criteria (it was right around there that we returned to for a look-see). From the picture I found at http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/b...um=602&p=0 I'm pretty sure that the falls we saw were Sideways Falls.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Sideways Falls. A new place to go on my next visit. Glad to know about it.

There are all kinds of jewels to be discovered along the parkway that are not highly publicized. I guess that is the reason I keep looking for a new place in a familiar area.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

There's no doubt that the Canadian Rockies are addictive. It's not often that we repeat a visit to a location without some period of years in between, but we're planning a trip back next year. After all, we have the incentive of an annual park pass to speed our return. This time, we hope to start in Jasper and make our way down and include a visit to Lake O'Hara.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM

My thoughts exactly. I missed Canada this summer because my wife was recovering from surgery. I missed it.

It is also why I react negatively to these people who want to drive the Icefields Parkway in 3 hours. I think it is analogous to drinking a $300.00 bottle of wine like it was a bottle of mineral water.