Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

My thoughts on Jean Talon Market, Montreal

May 17th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Daniel Williams

You know, I lived in Montreal for 5 years during graduate school (now living in Baltimore) and never went to the Jean Talon Market; now on a return visit, I'm staying with a friend who lives near de Castelnau metro and decided to check it out.

It was chilly today (60 F?), but the outdoor market was open. Lots of fresh flowers, the amount of beautiful-looking fresh fruits and vegetables was really a sight to behold. I was expecting a more earthy ambience, but the setup really lent the J.T. Market a very elegant, almost European-seeming vibe. So many quality pastry shops, butchers, bakers (didn't see any candlestick makers ), fruit stores, cafes surrounding the central square. Going there reminded me how much I enjoyed the refined living in Montreal and Jean Talon Market just adds to the flotilla of things I love about the city. It's fascinating to me how each market is unique of the following I've been to in North America: the Eastern Market in Washington, D.C., the Lexington and Cross St. Markets in Baltimore, the Reading Terminal Market and Italian Markets in Philly...each has its own character. Incidentally, I had an interview with a company in the city; seemed to go well...my fingers are crossed.

May 17th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Peg

Daniel, It sounds like the Jean Talon market is an interesting and colorful place. Thanks for sharing the info and I'll put it on my list for July!

May 17th, 2002, 06:00 PM
kate

Good luck on the interview and next time we are in Montreal,we will look for the Market...thanks for the info you described it so well.

May 18th, 2002, 07:14 AM
klam

Daniel, thanx too for your post! We went to Montreal for the first time on Thanksgiving weekend (US) and loved it so much we're coming back for the Jazz Fest and fireworks in July.

I've read about the JTM but wasn't sure if it was "worth going to". We'll definitely head there, and from your description it sounds like we'll even assemble a picnic basket or two for our outings!

Good luck with the job.

May 20th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Daniel Williams

The market is located a few blocks west of Jean Talon Metro, which is the northeast intersection station between the Orange Lines and the Blue Lines. Incidentally, I was very impressed with how liveable the surrounding neighborhood seemed, chock full of amenities, cute corner restaurants, cafes...saw kids playing at a playground. A very ethnically and linguistically diverse community that seems to be quite peaceful. I highly recommend the restaurant Le Petit Alep, on Jean Talon, where I had what may probably be the best omelette I've ever had (courgettes, red peppers, mushrooms with Fromage d'Alep...every bite was orgasmic!).

Funny Klam you wondered if it would be "worth it" to go to Jean Talon Market. In Montreal, there's just simply an unending supply of places to go, restaurants to try, neat stores, amazing live performances, believe me I understand it's hard to prioritize sometimes. Even though I lived in the city for 5 years and really tried to seek out new stores, different restaurants and performance venues, etc...I still discover amazing places now as a visitor to the city. (Including Jean Talon Market and Le Petit Alep, I was also a first-time visitor to an equally innovative high-quality Turkish/Mediterranean restaurant in Outremont called Rumi, as well as an excellent Indian resto in Old Montreal called Gandhi.)

Anyhow, I recommend going to the J.T. Market on a weekday if possible, for smaller crowds.