Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   My husband cheated and I'm moving away! PEI, Newfoundland or Nova Scotia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/my-husband-cheated-and-im-moving-away-pei-newfoundland-or-nova-scotia-1071674/)

79lauren Sep 13th, 2015 01:45 PM

My husband cheated and I'm moving away! PEI, Newfoundland or Nova Scotia?

Hi I have recently become a single mom to 2 kids ages: 7 months and 2 years old. I want to move for 3-6 months to either PEI, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland. I have never been to the Maritimes but have always wanted to go. I am from Vancouver and have lived in the downtown area for far too long. I am looking for a rural atmosphere that is close to some sort of village or town. I would like to be near the water and am picturing the huge green cliffs with the crashing ocean below. I am wanting the movie /fairytale kinda of thing. I would like it to be a place far enough removed that I can breath clean air and gather myself but also not so rural that I will feel isolated and lonely. I want to kids to be able to run free and have a great time. Where should I go? What cities/towns would be a good fit? I enjoy staying home and maybe walking to a pub for some food, taking the kids to the park etc. Anyone have any ideas?

NorthwestMale Sep 13th, 2015 09:58 PM

I am sure you need to <b>Visit first!!!</b>

I love (er, well, <I>respect</i>) the urgency with which you want to fly the coop...

but there is potential <I>culture shock</i> to be had with such a move.

I also suggest that <b>every place in those locations will seem <U>far enough removed</u></b>... but you really do need to be practical as well.

Just guessing, I would imagine the most suitable area among the choices would be something fairly near to <b>Halifax</b>, which is big enough to at least have most of the amenities you'd need.

I suppose the first thing I would do is take a compass (not that kind, the <I>kind used in math</i> )... and put the point on <b>Halifax</b>, and draw an arc 60 miles in all directions where <b>you're on land</b>.

Then, make a list of noteworthy communities within that arc, and at least Google pictures of them, and read about those which are at all intriguing.

I can't even imagine how challenging your <I>vision</i> is gonna be, with two kids under age 3...

<b>... but it would be awesome to read about if you made such a leap and landed on your feet spiritually, financially AND emotionally</b>.

Good luck !!

Scotia Sep 14th, 2015 06:05 AM

I agree with NorthwestMale....visit the areas first. However, I would recommend, after visiting the area, the Annapolis Valley approximately an hour drive from Halifax; i.e.,Wolfville area.

Elizabeth_S Sep 14th, 2015 02:41 PM

Umm. Are you planning this soon? Winter in those locations can be brutally cold and snowy -- not conducive to the experience you describe.

JulieGilman Sep 15th, 2015 05:19 AM

I'm biased, but I love PEI. I moved here 25 years ago and I have enjoyed raising my family on the Island.

Charlottetown is great, it has everything you could need/want, including a great waterfront. The price of housing is significantly less than NB or NS. They say that our coastal lifestyles - east coast/west coast - are similar.

If I were in your shoes, I'd come to P.E.I.

Julie

colduphere Sep 15th, 2015 04:39 PM

Sounds like you are trying to move as far awhile from the bum as possible. I agree with Elizabeth. Not ideal timing. And then I agree with the others about Nova Scotia.

But actually I think you should try Parksville.

immimi Sep 17th, 2015 08:47 AM

As I type a friend is en route from PEI back to the Vancouver area. Last winter did her in...

eliztravels2 Sep 20th, 2015 03:05 AM

You have painted a lovely picture for yourself of an idyllic existence in an unknown land. But think about it; you go through all the stress of packing up and moving. Then you have to find an affordable place, settle into the neighbourhood and get to know your new community. You know no one and have no support system. What if one of the kids gets sick? Will you be able to find a family doctor? Who is going to look after your other child if you have to go to emerge in the middle of the night? How about a lawyer to settle the legal issues on the other side of a country, or a reliable mechanic to fix the car you have to have to get to the nearby town? Can you afford to fly 'back home' for Christmas, or when you get homesick? And after 3-6 months when you are beginning to feel at home you intend to move back?

Separation and moving are both very stressful life events. One is not the remedy for the other. Single parenthood is no piece of cake, regardless of how bad your relationship was. Give yourself time to adjust and make a long range plan.