Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Must-Sees & Restaurants in Quebec City (only 2.5 days) (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/must-sees-and-restaurants-in-quebec-city-only-2-5-days-636612/)

glamgrlnyc Aug 4th, 2006 09:37 AM

Must-Sees & Restaurants in Quebec City (only 2.5 days)

I am visiting QC with my boyfriend for 2.5 days, so I want to see everything worth possibly seeing during my short stay. Besides Old Quebec, the Parliament Building, and Basilica Notre Dame, are there any other definite must-sees? Montmorency Falls?

Also, I would appreciate any restaurant recommendations... sidewalk cafes for lunch (moderately priced) and other restaurants(moderately priced to expensive)?

I was browsing online and saw a few pictures of a street in Old QC with all of these art vendors... does anyone know which street that is?

Lastly, I am staying at the Relais Charles-Alexandre B&B on Grand Allee from 08/29-08/30. Any reviews on that B&B and places to check out in that area?

Thanks in advance!! :)

sobolik Aug 6th, 2006 05:53 PM

Personally I do not like the lodging location. I prefer http://www.gitedelamontagne.com/ Right at the top of the Breakneck stairway. roof patio view is worth it alone.

Walk the board walk toward the Chateau then down to the lower. Just walk around the lower town at the foot of the breakneck stairway/Funicular. Wander over to the Dock/waterfront areas. There is a gas station off to the left a few blocks as you face the water that is near a street that takes you back to the upper town. If you want an awesome visual take the ferry to Levi for lunch and time the return at the romantic sunset time. Great view of QC and worth it.

Walk the upper town exiting the Jean Gate and wander the neighborhoods, swinging around back to your hotel location.

Take in ALL the interpretation centers and take a tour of the Chateau.

The above could be done in 1 1/2 days unless you can't stay focused (some can't)

I would go up to Canyon Saint Anne stopping at Montmorency Falls. Better yet ship those and drive straight to Tadoussac for a whale watching zodiac trip. We even saw Blue whales. I have a pic of the art vendors street that I took I don't remember its name. We went to an attraction/interp center/experience that brought us upon it. Sorry can't recall but you could easily find/stumble on it.

zootsi Aug 7th, 2006 05:32 AM

Your hotel location is fine, but realize it's about a 4 block walk to the old city. The Grand Allee is a very lively stretch of outdoor cafes, restaurants and clubs on a busy boulevard. It can be a bit noisy at night. However the walk into the old city is very easy and pleasant, passing the Parlament buildings. With 2.5 days, seeing the old city, the Parlament, the changing of the guard, strolling thru the Plains of Abraham, and visiting Montmorency Falls will be plenty. If you have access to a car, an afternoon drive around Ile St. Orleans would be relaxing. The 'alleyway' of artists is very easy to stumble across, as it's right in the heart of the upper city not too far from the boardwalk. I'm not familair with a Basilica Notre Dame in Quebec City (there's one in Montreal).

laverendrye Aug 7th, 2006 05:47 AM

The street with the artists is Rue du Trésor. It runs across Rue St.Louis in the heart of the upper town.

Notre-Dame Basilica is one of Québec's cathedrals, (the other is historic Holy Trinity Anglican) and a magnificent church. You can't miss it.

LeeParis Aug 7th, 2006 08:56 AM

I concur with the previous poster regarding the street with all the artists...it is Rue du Tresor. I was just there last week.

For an expensive dinner try Aux Anciens Canadiens. Traditional Quebec and game meals, etc. I had the "country platter" which was mostly yummy (didn't like the salt pork grillades but everything else was fab). My friend had the grilled pheasant with smoked buffalo and loved it. Our bill came to $106 CD. It was our "big" night out.

Also ate at Cafe d'Orsay near the Basilique Notre Dame and at the Auberge du Tresor which is right on the corner of Rue du Tresor and Saint Anne's.
Saw the Montmorency Falls from a cruise we took of the St. Lawrence. Expensive but we enjoyed it.

Just wandering through Upper Town, Lower Town, and out beyond the walls was grand. Did take a walk through Chateau Frontenac but not the tour. Also walked along the boardwalk outside the chateau. There were street performers near there day and night. We were there during their Nouvelle France festival by coincidence so we even saw an evening parade down Rue Saint Louis.

LeeParis

radiofanatic Aug 7th, 2006 10:04 AM

I posted a recent report about my trip which was also 2.5 days. Just hit my name and it should come up. It should help you with your trip.

laverendrye Aug 7th, 2006 11:18 AM

"Salt pork grillades", or grillades de lard are popularly known as les oreilles de crisse (Christ's ears), and while not to everyone's taste, are a very popular item at the cabanes à sucre during maple syrup time.