musical instrument shops in downtown Montreal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We'll be leaving this week for Montreal and our older son (15 yrs.) plays bass. He's hoping to check out some really cool shops that hopefully will carry unique strings(Red Devils), etc. that we can't find at home. We'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, which I believe is pretty central to all the main shopping areas. We also don't mind trekking further as well. If any fellow bassists have suggestions, we'd love to hear from you. Also, any good street/park music happening next weekend that would interest teenage boys as well as their parents? thanks for any help!!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Hello,

I'm not a musician but I think one of the best store in Montréal for guitar and bass is Steve's Music Store, located at 51 St.Antoine St. West, somewhere between downtown and Old Montreal. The Web site is http://www.stevesmusic.com.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Steve's is a great store.

There is also the main Archambault store (instruments are on the top floor) on the corner of Berri and Sainte-Catherine. 10 minute walk from your hotel.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Steve's is good, and there is a smaller place next door. However, the best place I've seen for guitars and such is right nest to the Jean Talon Market in Little Italy. I think it's called Italiomusic or something like that. They have a huge selection of both accoustic and electric guitars and basses, and their prices were a litle better than Steve's. The Jean Talon market is lots of fun to visit (go in the morning), and it's a 20 minute Metro ride from the downtown.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions, guys! My son is thrilled. I'm sure we'll enjoy exploring these areas as well!! Thanks alot.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

It's me again with yet another question. Are all these shops and the Jean Talon market open on Sundays as well? If so, what is the usual time frames for business? Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Archambault music store is open on Sundays from 10 AM to 5 PM. As for Steve's music store, I don't know. Jean-Talon Market is open all day Sundays. I'm absolutely sure it's open from at least from 10 to 5 and maybe even longer. There's also the Atwater Market that you'd like to check. It's smaller that Jean-Talon but very nice and not too far from downtown (corner of Atwater st. and Notre-Dame st. West, and at a walkable distance from the Atwater metro station). But I must say that between the two, I prefer Jean-Talon.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again!! I'm glad I checked in before we left. We can't wait to get started, I'll let you know how we made out.Bye for now!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Italmelodie is the name of the store near Jean-Talon metro...