Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Mount Engadine Lodge -- How is it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/mount-engadine-lodge-how-is-it-514987/)

bob_brown Mar 22nd, 2005 06:08 PM

Mount Engadine Lodge -- How is it?

If you have stayed at the Mount Engadine Lodge in Alberta, please describe your experience for me. I am strongly considering staying there for a few days and I would like some input from an experienced guest before making my final decision.

Any comments on cabin comfort, meals, etc will be appreciated. I know that the number of guests is limited, but that is a plus for me.

cmcfong Mar 23rd, 2005 03:42 AM

My husband and I have stayed at Mt. Engadine Lodge several times. For years they had a Swiss chef who hiked the mountains in his off hours. He was brilliant and the food was fantastic. He died in an avalanche in BC last winter. I have not been there since then and cannot evaluate the food.

The cabins are two bedroom with shared bath. We travel with another couple who are very close friends so that isn't an issue for us. The cabins are sparsely furnished but very comfortable. They have porches which are just great. We love to sit out there and drink a beer after a day of hiking. They face a glorious valley and Mt. Assinboine. We have often seen wildlife, principally moose, wander through. The rooms in the lodge are small with shared baths. I would recommend the cabins over the lodge rooms. We usually run into a few Canadians and Europeans on our visits there.
The hikes in the area are excellent with a wide range of challenge levels. The staff is very helpful recommending hikes and keeping you well advised on weather. One thing we particularly like is there are many hikes we can do after dinner the trailheads for which go right from the lodge. I highly recommend Mt. Engadine Lodge.

bob_brown Mar 23rd, 2005 12:24 PM

Thanks. I understand there are cabins with private baths as well, for 2 guests.
It sounds like what we want, so we will go forward with our plans.

Thanks a lot. I do not know that section of the Rockies at all. So it will be new territory for me to visit and enjoy.

I was sad to hear about the avalanche disaster and death. There is an old saying about spring time in the Rockies -- keep away.

bmacdon Mar 23rd, 2005 12:45 PM

My husband and I stayed in a standard room on the second floor of the lodge (3 winters ago); I agree that the rooms are simple, but comfortable. We shared a large bathroom (at least a couple of showers, sinks, stalls; separate rooms for men and women) with a few other rooms. I never actually ran into anyone in there, although not all the rooms were occupied.

The food as mentioned with the former chef, was incredible; sorry I can't comment on recent quality. However, the lodge has been around many years and is highly reputable; I cannnot imagine that they have not maintained those standards.

There are a couple of cosy sitting areas on the main floor with gorgeous fireplaces, books to read, quiet games to play. We brought our own x-country skis and borrowed snowshoes from the lodge one day. The outdoor hot tub was well maintained and a lovely way to unwind after a day in the mountains. We have also stopped in there just for the tea on our way home from skiing; what a treat that is!

If you want peace and serenity, gourmet meals and attentive service from the owners and staff, I too give Engadine Lodge two thumbs up.

cmcfong Mar 23rd, 2005 12:57 PM

Have a wonderful trip, Bob. It is a splendid place.

bob_brown Mar 23rd, 2005 01:08 PM

Again thanks. We know the Yoho fairly well, but the Lougheed area is one we have only driven through. This time we will a chance to learn more about the area south of Banff.