Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Most Scenic Ferry Crossing to Vancouver Island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/most-scenic-ferry-crossing-to-vancouver-island-520424/)

cedar Apr 11th, 2005 02:07 PM

Most Scenic Ferry Crossing to Vancouver Island?

Hi again
Still thinking about our trip from Vancouver to Vancouver Island.
I am looking for a scenic ferry trip to the Island...soooo, many choices. We will not be going to Victoria.
I have ALL the tourist material and it is a tough decison.
Any comments would be appreciated.
;-)

BAK Apr 11th, 2005 04:00 PM

The drive, assuming you are driving, from Vancouver to the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal is much nicer than the drive to the mainland ferry terminal south of Vancouver.

Can't comment on the ferry ride itself, except to say I've seen whales from the ferry going into Sidney (the south route)

Carmanah Apr 11th, 2005 05:45 PM

Horseshoe Bay is definitely a prettier place than Tsawwassen, however, the Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo ferry goes in one direct line across open water.

The Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay (Victoria) ferry goes incredibly close to the Gulf Islands and is definitely more of a scenic ferry ride. You can see the homes on the islands... the rocky coves... seals, sometime whales. It's more interesting because you're travelling through small channels...

... but if you're not going to Victoria, taking the ferry to Swartz Bay wouldn't make much sense.

Why not take both the Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo ferry one way, and then the Swartz Bay/Tsawwassen ferry on the way back? If you plan to do this, take the Swartz Bay/Tsawwassen ferry during daylight hours.

ltt Apr 12th, 2005 07:29 AM

Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay - this crossing is really beautiful

flygirl Apr 12th, 2005 07:58 AM

good information!

brookwood Apr 12th, 2005 04:02 PM

I have taken them all and found that the most interesting way is to have a good book to read. Did just last summer, to Tsawwassen. I got through the first act of Don Carlo on CD. Quick ride.

We came down from Prince Rupert. Pine trees.

lincasanova Apr 13th, 2005 06:37 AM

the really most beautiful ferry ride in this whole area is the one from vancouver/h.bay to gibsons up the sunshine coast. the way it has to twist around that island in the middle ( is it bowen?) is great and offers IMO the nicest views. this can be done as foot passenger if you are not planning on continuing up the sunshine coast ( named for an obvious reason) and enjoy the rest of this side of b.c ( my favorite side).

bowen island was highly recommended to me for strolling and paddling and spending some time but we never seemed to work it in.

we have summered 6 times in b.c. and the sunshine coast is very nice, as are some places on v.island itself.

we drove up the sunshine coast to powell river and crossed there.
we have done a bit of everything, depending on our time.
so, you must know how much time you have and plans to do/see things.

we stayed at b+b's and other hotels along the way.

swimming downstream against the whords of salmon going upstream was another activity i never had the courage to do, but some people raved about it. ( campbell river area).