Search

fundy tides

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fundy tides

We are visiting NS at the end of July and we want to see the fundy tides since our kids have never seen anything like it before.
We are staying near New Ross on Sherbrooke lake - can anyone help with the best place for us to go see the tides and if there are any websites that will give us an idea of what time the tides will come in and go out?
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM

If you're driving to NS, I could make several suggestions about good vantage points in New Brunswick and/or northern NS which you could visit on your way through. Otherwise, the Minas Basin would be a good choice. Try Grand Pre or Blomidon. Go to Google, click on Images and put in Grand Pre or Blomidon and see if these images appeal. They wouldn't be too far from New Ross. You'll find the Bay of Fundy an outstanding place to visit.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM

If you are staying in New Ross, you will be about one hour from Grand Pre. In Grand Pre go to Evangeline Beach for a good view of the high and low tides. I recommend a trip to Hall's Harbour, not far from Kentville, for a lobster lunch and also a view of the Bay of Fundy tides.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM

Bravo for you for showing the Fundy tides to your kids!

I too am interested in knowing how you'll get to NS. If you're driving, then I recommend "Hopewell Cape" (aka "The Flower Pot Rocks&quot as a place to really give KIDS the full impact of just how powerful the tides are.

The catch in this is that if done perfectly, you'll be there at or near high tide, and then at or near low tide some SIX HOURS later. Complicate that by wanting both to occur during DAYLIGHT hours, and, well, you have a challenge.

Could be worse, though, as the tides are entirely predictable. Here's the website you'll want to check out for tide information:

http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...=5&zone=30

In fact, if I were you, I would list 4 or 5 of those locations and PRE-PRINT the tide schedules during your ENTIRE trip for each of the strategic 4 or 5 locations.

(those 6-hour contrasts can be cleverly avoided in SOME cases by returning on another day when in the general area)

You are certainly staying in a location that is remote to everything... (I had to do considerable research to even figure out WHERE it was) If you're not driving to NS, then Hopewell Cape will likely be way out of your range.

Another thing to really make an impact on the minds of kids, in reference to the tides, is the "Tidal Bore", which sends many RIVERS turning around to head UPSTREAM when the tide rolls in!

This, too, is predictable according to schedules you can obtain. It was great for me to be sitting outdoors in Moncton, NB, on bleacher seats, at 11:00pm... with a full moon illuminating the entire area as I awaited the rush of water which reversed the course of the river before me. (many rivers in the area reverse that way, Moncton is just a prominent spot for watching the spectacle)

With the tide tables, you can have a general idea of which windows of time on which days will afford you the greatest educational assistance with your kids.

You can't go wrong to PRINT out the tables of certain spots for the window of time when you'll be in the area. Have the table with you in the car for easy reference.

You might even take the gang to Burntcoat Head, just for the symbolism that is the site of the world's highest recorded tide. The actual viewing from there isn't that fantastic, but just knowing you were there means something.

Perhaps others are better sources for finding just the right vantage points to look off into the distance and see the ocean floor go on for dozens of feet in front of you.

If all of the gang could stand for a 5-hour round trip HIKE... then the end of "Cape Split" is quite spectacular in that you end up in the middle of the Bay of Fundy, high on a bluff, with the world's highest tides whirling around you. (use Google images to get a better sense of what is out there, before you go)

Google images would be good for "Flower Pot Rocks" as well.

I think I'll sign off now and leave you with what is already here.

Hope the planning is fun and that it all falls wonderfully into place upon arrival.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

That all sounds great - thanks for all the reply's

Now to map it out so we can hit the flower pot rocks on the way to and from the cottage.

And yes we are driving.... all part of the experience - I just wish we had decided on longer then a 10 day trip!!