Moraine Lake, last week of march?

Mar 25th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Moraine Lake, last week of march?

Hello everyone,

I'm considering scrapping the whole west Edmonton mall for my itinerary and instead maybe head to Moraine Lake....

what does it look like this time of year? I'm not expecting the crazy-coloured water or anything....but I'm just feining to see some amazing views/mountains!!!!

I basically have from the 26(thursday) to the 30th off....

If anyone has a better itinerary for me I'm all ears!! I just know I have to see the rockies!

I;ve spent my last 4 summers in Northern Cali...visitng my parents while on my summer break for school.............so this is my chance! please help!
Mar 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/ne/ne1r_E.asp

The road to Moraine Lake is still closed for the winter. It usually opens in late May.
Mar 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply Shellidawn. Much appreciated.

I pretty much want to stay on the main roads and head up to Edmonton then.

Will there be any scenic spots, where I could just pull over on the side of the road to take pics???? from BC to edmonton
Mar 25th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Did you mean Maligne Lake--up by Jasper or Moraine Lake by Lake Louise? I see you were planning on visiting Jasper. Are you considering heading down to Banff/Lake Louise?

The Banff/Lake Louise area is beautiful in March. We skiied the area one year, the third week of March. There are lots of beautiful views from the road.

The Icefields Parkway, the drive from Jasper to Lake Louise is wonderful. It is not a dangerous drive but I think avalanches sometimes close the road in winter--and March is avalanche season. Winter closings are posted.

Lake Louise is beautiful in the winter. It was the most beautiful place that we ever skiied. The town is not much--we prefer Banff in the winter.

The drive out to Emerald Lake is beautiful and is a great place for a drink or some lunch.
Mar 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM

The roads from Calgary to Banff to Jasper should be good. There are never any guarantees that way in the rockies. There will be spectacular mountain views from these roads. Banff gives more options in the evenings. An outdoor hotsprings experience is one. A cablecar to a mountaintop is another.
Hmmm, a mall or the spectacular mountain air and views. Hard to choose.