Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Montreal Restaurant Ideas, Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-restaurant-ideas-please-725613/)

NewbE Aug 1st, 2007 01:35 PM

Montreal Restaurant Ideas, Please!

I have read through most of the recent Montreal threads and taken notes, but I'd still like some restaurant suggestions. We will be three adults staying at the Hotel Gault for three nights. Ideally, I'd like to plan one dinner near the hotel for Thursday night, when we arrive; one good dinner for Friday or Saturday night; and then get some ideas for the third night, perhaps downtown, where we plan to sightsee, or Plateau.

Price isn't really an object, but we won't have coat-and-tie outfits. We like all types of cuisine, but wouldn't be interested in a steakhouse.

Lunches aren't a major concern, but I'll take ideas for those, too, if you have them!

Thanks very much!

SusanInToronto Aug 1st, 2007 03:13 PM

A few months back, I ate at Lemeac in Montreal. Excellent meal, and I'm going back again for a weekend in September, and I'm planning to eat there again.

You might want to check chowhound - lots of suggestions there.

mitchdesj Aug 5th, 2007 01:55 AM

Lemeac is one of my favorite restaurants; it's on Laurier street- very nice shopping area. From Old Montreal, you'd have to cab it, approx 12$ ride each way. Or a 20 minute walk from metro.

PamSF Aug 7th, 2007 09:28 AM

There are so many absolutely wonderful places to eat. What are your ages? What kind of food do you want?

Lemeac is very good and a bistro with a relatively large dining room. It has a very good wine list.
We liked Garde Manger which is in the old port and casual. It's a very young crowd but we enjoyed ourselves(we're in our 50's). You can get some very good food and lots of oysters. Since you are staying at the Gault, the style of Garde Manger might be right up your alley.

We also had an exceptionally good Indian meal at Ghandi in the old port.
We were rather burned out on French food after two weeks in Montreal and Quebec. The quality of the service,atmosphere and food makes it a very nice meal.

I used the Chowhound board to help me with research and got some excellent tips on places in Montreal.

PamSF Aug 8th, 2007 06:27 AM

Now for lunch..some folks might shoot me but I think lining up for a smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's is a must.

I almost forgot to mention Ferreira's(spelling might be off but it's close). This is a Portugese seafood restaurant in downtown and you will absolutely need reservations. It's lively and the food is good.

I am searching my mind for the name of the great place in the Plateau where we actually ate twice, once taking other SF folks who loved it as well.It has excellent food, a nice atmosphere and a very good wine list as well as more than decent wines by the glass. Also..it has a full bar.
Sorry but Brun is in the name..I'll check on Chowhound and get back to you.

PamSF Aug 8th, 2007 07:37 AM

BRUNOISE! That's the great place and worth your time in the Plateau. It has a small menu but with excellent choices. It's affordable, small and very nicely done.
Make reservations. I think you can check them out on the web.

LouisP Aug 8th, 2007 08:44 AM

Brunoise have opened a new restaurant called "Brasserie Brunoise", near Bell Center: 1012 de la Montagne. Same great food and wines by the glass. Not as fancy, but cheaper.

NewbE Aug 8th, 2007 08:45 AM

Thank you all very much! We are in our 30's and 40's, love seafood, but don't dislike anything--actually, we're straved for Indian at the moment, so Gandhi sound perfect, as does Garde Manger for nearby choices...they all sound wonderful. I want to hit the Plateau and will make a res. at Brunoise if we do.

Saturday night we're going to see Rush at the Centre Bell--and I don't even know where that is in relation to anything else! Would a downtown restaurant be a good choice for dinner before the show, location-wise? (Ferreira's? Lemeac?)

NewbE Aug 8th, 2007 08:46 AM

Oh boy, LouisP, you read my mind--didn't see your post before posting my own. That sounds like a great option for our show night.

LouisP Aug 8th, 2007 08:53 AM

If you plan to go before a show, reservations are a must! Call them ASAP at 514.933.3885

mitchdesj Aug 10th, 2007 02:46 AM

Fereira would be very close to the bell centre, not Lemeac. Brasserie Brunoise sounds more casual than Ferreira for a before show meal; I would try that and save Ferreira for a night you'd have time to linger.