Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Montreal/Mount Tremblant (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-mount-tremblant-549833/)

Firstlade Aug 7th, 2005 05:04 AM

Montreal/Mount Tremblant

Hi, I am traveling to Montreal and Mont Tremblant end of August. I have 2 children ages 14 and 17. (The 14 year old can be a picky/simple eater).I would appreciate any suggestions on restaurants in both/either place and activities. I am looking for the more "local" not "tourist trap" restaurants. I know Montreal has a great amusement park. Thanks for your help!

Daniel_Williams Aug 7th, 2005 08:11 AM

There are lots of fantastic "local" restaurants in Montreal.

For people to help more, perhaps some clarification might help. Does the "picky/simple eater" mean that your child likes less aromatized small-town America dishes like burgers or spaghetti (avoid spicy or saucy? like doesn't like Thai, Mexican or Indian food? doesn't like vegetables? doesn't like seafood?) or that he/she is very health-conscious and avoids fatty/processed/fast food?

Even without much further clarification, I think going to Patisserie Belge on ave. du Parc in Montreal won't be a problem. Titanic and Olive & Gourmande in Old Montreal serve pretty is popular with the remaining dotcom businesses in the area, so less touristed. Have sandwiches, soups & salads at all of these; can't go too wrong with either sort of picky eater with that. La Table Enchantée is fantastic, traditional Quebec food near Mont-Tremblant on the highway near the Mont-Tremblant exit... anything in the Village itself will be very touristed, as that's essentially the raison d'être for Mont-Tremblant.

Enjoy, DAN

Firstlade Aug 7th, 2005 10:14 AM

Dan, Yes my picky eater likes burgers, fres, etc and is not particularly health conscious. You nailed her exactly! Thanks for all you suggestions. It appears to be very helpful.

Raleigh_NC Aug 8th, 2005 12:15 PM

You won't have any problems with food. Both locations are packed with tourists and have lots of family friendly restaurants. In Mont Tremblant, for something less touristy, go to the "old" Mont Tremblant village, about five minutes drive. Very quaint and much less commercial. In Montreal, try Dunn's deli on St. Catherine (enormous menu, high quality food) and the Bar-B-Barn on rue Guy - great chicken and ribs.

For activities, in Mont Tremblant if you don't mind a bit of a drive go to the excellent acquatic park in St. Sauveur - about 30 minutes away. Also, a gondola ride to the mountain summit and a boat cruise on the lake (which also has a nice beach). In Montreal, La Ronde is a great amusement park and the aquarium is right by it. Next to the Olympic Stadium there's the biodome which has huge indoor replications of five climatic zones from tropical to antarctic (penguins and all). While there, also take the elevator to the top of the stadium tower for a great view. From the harbor, get on a motorized raft ride through the Lachine rapids. You'll get wet, but the kids won't forget it. Go to Old Montreal in late afternoon when the buskers are out in full force - lots of fun to watch.

wliwl Aug 8th, 2005 01:11 PM

If you can sneak away from your kids, be sure to have dinner at Cheval de Jade,
688, rue de St-Jovite (in nearby St. Jovite)
http://www.chevaldejade.com/
It is one of our favorite restaurants anyplace.

Do a search on here for "Tremblant" - there are a couple of threads about restaurants. There are LOTS of family places in the pedestrian village. (Some better than others...) The fondue place is good. The microbrewery is ho hum.

In nearby St. Jovite are a couple of restaurants also. One is a brick oven pizza place in an old train station that is pretty good.

Firstlade Aug 8th, 2005 01:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated

Firstlade Aug 8th, 2005 02:01 PM

Does anyone know if the fireworks are still going on Aug 20-22?

Raleigh_NC Aug 8th, 2005 05:54 PM

The fireworks competition is over