Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Montreal Memorial Day Weekend? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-memorial-day-weekend-274244/)

Louise Nov 18th, 2002 06:56 PM

Montreal Memorial Day Weekend?

I am planning a long weekend trip for my husband and I the weekend of Memorial day 2003. Will it be very busy or the usual weekend crowds?? I got good rates for Air out of philly including Hotel at the Crowne Plaza for $$358.00 per person using Air-Canada Vacation packages and the weekend before that is the same price too. This is both our first time visiting Montreal. Is it also possible to visit Quebec city on day trip, or should we just stay overnight there?<BR><BR>Thanks

Louis Nov 19th, 2002 04:54 AM

Memorial Day is not a holiday in Canada, so you don't need to be concerned with crowds. <BR>It is possible to go to Quebec City on a day trip, but it is a 2 1/2 hour (and boring) drive each way. (500 km return). Also, QC is very nice at night. There are may illuminated buildings.

zootsi Nov 19th, 2002 06:07 AM

There is so much to see and do in Montreal, you will probably be better off not spending half your weekend driving to QC and back. You are fortunate to be at the Crowne Plaza, this is in a very interesting part of the city, being near St. Denis, St. Laurent, Prince Arthur, etc.

Nicole Nov 19th, 2002 06:17 AM

I have actually spent Memorial Day weekend in Montreal and it is not a Canadian holiday. Montreal will eat up the whole weekend since there are a ton of things to do and see. I agree, wait to do Quebec City for another time. I flew into Montreal and took the train to Quebec City that same year on Labor Day weekend. The train was fast and comfortable and cheap. I prefer not to add the expense of a car and parking. Quebec City is a wonderful place and you would want to spend the night there as well.

Donna Nov 19th, 2002 04:33 PM

We spent last Memorial Day weekend in Montreal. I was astonished when I booked the room at our regular hotel. When I asked why the rates were higher, I was told &quot;It's American Memorial Day Weekend&quot;. We drove and it took us 40 minutes through the border going and just over an hour returning (usually takes no more than 10-15 minutes tops). We saw US license plates all over the place! Like us, many must have opted for a &quot;road&quot; trip versus flying anywhere. At any rate, though the city was busy, it was not noticably any more crowded than usual. It's always best to make dinner reservations for Friday and Saturday nights, if you have particular places in mind. Over a weekend, I'd recommend saving Quebec City for another trip. But, if you really want to see Quebec City while you're there, I recommend the Grayline one-day tour. There's interesting and amusing commentary along the way, they drive you past the highlights, and there's plenty of time to explore the upper and lower towns, have a leisurely lunch, and do some shopping. Price is about the same as round-trip train fare.