Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   montreal hotels: Sofitel vs. Omni. vs. Le Meridien (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-hotels-sofitel-vs-omni-vs-le-meridien-324121/)

AlexA Jun 4th, 2003 01:48 PM

montreal hotels: Sofitel vs. Omni. vs. Le Meridien

I usually stay at the Omni when I'm in Montreal, but I'm thinking of something different this time. Not interested in the slew of boutique hotels in Old Montreal, looking for a larger place on Sherbrooke.

For those of you who stayed at more than one of these hotels, how do they compare in terms of room size and amenities, service, appearance of lobby and public areas, indoor pool, etc.
By the way, I didn't even realize until recently that there was a Le Meridien in Montreal again! Years ago, I stayed at what was then the Le Meridien (now the Wyndham) and was suprised to se a listed for the Le Meridien Versailles (on Sherbooke, a few blocks west of Crescent)

Scarlett Jun 4th, 2003 03:26 PM

Hi Alex,
Last year we saw the finishing of the building of the Wyndham, it is a monster of a hotel, large ugly square thing. Huge. Not on Sherbrook either.
The Versailles is the other half of the Chateau VErsailles. There are two townhouses together on Sherbrook that are the Chateau, then there is a modern tower that was some hotel way back that is now the Tower. They have renovated it once again.
Personally, the Omni is the only one of these named that I would stay in. I have been there several times, both when it was the Four Season, Westin and Omni! Now we stay at the Le Germain, although the Sofitel is calling to me:)
Good luck with your choice!

Scarlett Jun 4th, 2003 03:28 PM

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C...selRegion=2_CV

Hi Alex, if this works, you can go to this page and look up all the hotels and their websites. At least you can get a look at them.

djkbooks Jun 4th, 2003 05:30 PM

I posted a lengthy review of the brand new Sofitel following our stay New Year's if you care to scroll down.

This is one slick and modern place! Loved the shower! Service throughout is top-notch. Pops up on Hotwire all the time, too, for ridiculously low rates. Also, web specials through their website which include breakfast and, sometimes, parking.

That it's right around the corner from Alexandre, Guy & Dodo Morali, and Cafe Ferriera, not to mention all of Crescent, makes it even more appealing for us.

Scarlett Jun 4th, 2003 05:42 PM

djkbooks-I think it was your post that made me consider going to the Sofitel the next time we visit Montreal:)
We were going to Mexico in August but might put that off, so Montreal might be in my near future~
and eating at Cafe Ferriere, Le Petit Bistro? is that the one on rue Ontario? my memory is failing:)
I will need all the new places to try this trip.

pattysuericia Jun 4th, 2003 06:42 PM

Alex-Hope you enjoy your stay. In terms of location-all 3 are excellent. The Sofitel is the new kid on the block and it "is" a good one. The Omni, is excellent. As for the Meridien,it has probably been renovated but I haven't been inside in a long time. Re restaurants,there is a wealth of restaurants in Montreal-one that recently opened and many more. If you want just tell me what you like & if it's for lunch,dinner etc
I have been recommending the Sofitel in most of my posts but there are others as well.

pattysuericia Jun 4th, 2003 07:09 PM

The Sofitel does not have a swimming pool but they can give you free passes to use the pool across the street.

AlexA Jun 5th, 2003 10:16 AM

thanks for your input, guys.

I'm still leaning toward the Omni, one of my favorite hotels, but the Sofitel does beckon me too.I haven't seen any great rates for Sofitel for the time I'm looking at. If it's the Hotwire 4 1/2 star hotel, then it's $132 US for the time I'm thinking of, not any lower than what you can get directly from the hotel (and be SURE that it's that hotel rather than "hoping" with Hotwire). The Omni is about that price, maybe a tad less, directly from the hotel.

Scarlett, Thanks for clarifying the Le Meridien/Versailles thing. As I mentioned, I was stayed in the Wyndham about 15 years ago when it was called the Le Meridien and the hotel quality was fine, but I wasn't thrilled with the location (though good for Jazz Fest or Just For Laughs festivals) and the hotel within a shopping mall atmosphere! I was surprised to see a different, more boutique-y hotel (rooms only accommodate queen beds, not king)affiliated with the Le Meridien name now

AlexA Jun 9th, 2003 08:02 AM

Hi, remember me? I'm the one who posted this question in the first place. I didn't have a chance to look at Fodor's for a few days, came back and was excited to see so many responses, only to find all this bickering. I realize that people can post what they want, but I'm really still hoping to hear some suggestions and information from people who have actually stayed at the hotels I'm asking about. Thanks again.

Scarlett Jun 9th, 2003 08:45 AM

Well, Alex, it looks like you and I are the only two who actually stayed at the Omni. I was able to compare since I go to Montreal so often and have been to but not stayed in a couple that you mention.
You might just have to make this decision yourself considering the choice you have is not that great..the Omni vs Le Meridien. The Sofitel is wonderful but you know that now.
What more would you like to hear?

AlexA Jun 9th, 2003 10:46 AM

Scarlett, thanks for responding . I've looked through many posts here that say the "Sofitel is wonderful" . I guess I was looking for more specific firsthand details and experiences like what the rooms are like (size, decor) how service is (friendly, prompt replies to problems) etc. but it is a relatively new hotel, so perhaps many people on this board haven't stayed there yet. I appreciate your input anyway!

djkbooks, I found a review posted in January by "donna" which I assume is you, and your report was very helpful. If only I could get the rate you did! Of course, summer rates (when I will be traveling) are higher, so I guess that was too much to hope for

Scarlett Jul 13th, 2003 05:42 PM

Bickering????

Scarlett Jul 13th, 2003 05:52 PM

Alex,
Have you gone to Montreal yet? Where did you stay?
Please, ignore my hiccup posted before this :)

AlexA Jul 14th, 2003 12:29 PM

Hi, Scarlett.
Haven't gone yet (will a little later this summer) but decided on the Omni. found a good rate (for the place I really liked anyway) and decided that I would rather have pool and health club in the hotel (unlike the Sofitel).
The Versailles just ended up looking odd. The boutique part of the hotel gets much higher ratings (with higher prices), and the Le Meridien part seems kind of dull--and just a few blocks too far west.

(As far as "bickering", well there were some posts thankfully deleted from this thread (complaining about a person, rather than commenting on my question or the responses people gave) Glad to see Fodor's kept the useful stuff and got rid of the resT!

Scarlett Jul 14th, 2003 03:41 PM

I might be there as well, in a few weeks:) We decided to stay at the Le Germain again~
Are you making all your dinner reservations in advance? I am booking Cafe Ferriera and Le Petit Extra, can't think of where else..will have to browse this site some more~
The Omni is a lovely hotel and very comfortable. We loved staying in the Jr Suite on a high floor, MtRoyal view!
Have you eaten in Zen? If you like Chinese food, you might want to try it.
You can give me your recommendations for restaurants too:)

AlexA Jul 15th, 2003 10:52 AM

Scarlett, Can you believe I've never eaten at Zen. It does intrigue me as I love Asian food! I don't quite "get" the menu--I know its not a buffet, but you can try virtually everythng on the menu?
Do you know how much dinner runs these days?
I don't usually make restaurant reservations for when I'm in Montreal--I love to graze through the city and usually spend a lot of time running from place to place rather than sitting down to long dinners. You will find me ar Schwartz's though!