Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Montreal hotels: Hotel XIX Siecle, Saint Suplice or Chateau Versailles? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-hotels-hotel-xix-siecle-saint-suplice-or-chateau-versailles-430368/)

chikadodle Sep 9th, 2008 08:31 AM

Montreal hotels: Hotel XIX Siecle, Saint Suplice or Chateau Versailles?

Hello,
My husband and I are planning our first anniversary and trying to decide on a hotel. We're coming up from Vermont and are going to be spending three nights in Montreal. I'm not sure which area of the city is best so any help would be appreciated. We're both in our early 30s and like to keep busy, and love eating out. Thank you all for any help!

JQReports Sep 9th, 2008 09:29 AM

Hi chikadodle,

If you have any budget constraints I would guess that the Chateau Versailles is the cheapest of the three. But since its for an anniversay, go for the romance and stay in Old Montreal (that is, pick one of the other two).

At worst, from any of the locations, what you pick for restaurants is only a short metro or cab ride away.

JQ

goddesstogo Sep 9th, 2008 09:35 AM

Hi chik,
I've stayed at both the Hotel XIX and the Sainte Sulpice and I'd recommend the SS by far.

There's nothing really wrong with the XIX, it's just that the SS is much nicer. Are you getting similar rates for both places, because if that's the case, I'd snap up the SS.

At the XIX, I had a decent-sized room which seemed larger because of the high ceiling. It was on the first floor and looked out on the parking lot but that may have been because I got a bargain rate. I didn't much care. The lobby was adequate and service was pleasant.

At the SS, we had a lovely suite (all are suites) overlooking the garden, a balcony big enough for two chairs and a small table, lovely amenities in the kitchen area like linen napkins and real (not plastic) wine glasses, plates, cutlery. The lobby was beautiful and the service was excellent.

Regarding location, SS is more in the heart of Old Montreal. The two hotels are only separated by a few blocks but I think that SS's location is better.

chikadodle Sep 9th, 2008 09:41 AM

What is the parking situation like at the Saint Suplice? Hotel XIX is inclusive.

goddesstogo Sep 9th, 2008 09:43 AM

I'm sorry, I don't remember that. It's possible we took the train and didn't have to bother with a car. Do you need to have a car there? You don't really need one.

chikadodle Sep 9th, 2008 09:58 AM

We're driving up from Vermont, so will be walking around town, but will have our car with us.

goddesstogo Sep 9th, 2008 10:04 AM

Sounds like a nice drive. Sorry, I can't help you about the parking. It might say on the website or you could just give them a call. Or Google 'public parking in Montreal' and see if there are any less expensive public lots nearby.

Vttraveler Sep 11th, 2008 03:34 AM

I would personally prefer to stay in a downtown location (Chateau Versailles) rather than in Old Montreal. That part of the city has more restaurants, bars, etc. and is less touristy. However as others have noted Old Montreal might feel more romantic
Either way Montreal has good public transit although stops in Old M. are somewhat less convenient than in downtown.

for parking there is usually an extra charge of around $20-$25/day if the hotel does not mention it is included in the room price. I would just ask SS

There are also some good hotels that participate in a tourist office program called "Sweet Deals" that gives reduced rates for 3 day stays through Oct 15
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/Offers/Summer

DRSMILES Sep 21st, 2008 09:29 AM

I recently moved to this new and exciting area in Montreal, just steps from the hotels you are asking about.
The St. Sulpice is the best of the ones you mentioned and has a great interior courtyard for dining.
The other favorite is the Neligan.
Don't forget to check out Olive and Gourmondo for breakfast or lunch, Garde Manger, Le Local ( both need reservations ) the current in spots for 5-7 and dinner, Holder always reliable, Mechant Boeuf ( light dining and funky crowd. There is a lot of history just walking around the Old port,and discovering the Art Galleries. Check out Le Baldaquin on de la commune around the corner for exquisite gifts, unique objects, and the best selection of fine linens I have seen. You are picking the best area to really base your stay in Montreal

I recently moved to this new and exciting area in Montreal, just steps from the hotels you are asking about.
The St. Sulpice is the best of the ones you mentioned and has a great interior courtyard for dining.
The other favorite is the Neligan.
Don't forget to check out Olive and Gourmondo for breakfast or lunch, Garde Manger, Le Local ( both need reservations ) the current in spots for 5-7 and dinner, Holder always reliable, Mechant Boeuf ( light dining and funky crowd. There is a lot of history just walking around the Old port,and discovering the Art Galleries. Check out Le Baldaquin on de la commune around the corner for exquisite gifts, unique objects, and the best selection of fine linens I have seen. You are picking the best area to really base your stay in Montreal

sandypaws3 Oct 25th, 2008 04:10 PM

Does the Saint Sulpice have an elevator? I have knee problems, so stairs are a problem.

Sandy

goddesstogo Oct 25th, 2008 08:19 PM

I'm sure it has an elevator.

sandypaws3 Oct 29th, 2008 07:47 PM

goddesstogo,
Thanks! Good to know that. The hotel looks great!

Sandy

sdbeach Oct 29th, 2008 10:02 PM

Going to Montreal this winter with our kids (4 and 8), and we're trying to decide where to stay. The Fairmont will have everything good for travel with kids--including an indoor pool--but is it far from things? If weather is bad we won't want to walk far, and I can't tell if the underground Mall is nearby.

Any suggestions on where to stay?

ame76 Dec 8th, 2008 05:55 PM

The Fairmont is connected to the Montreal underground (which means, you can get to the subway system and a multitude of malls without having to go outside. It seems like a fair choice if you are staying with kids. Also, you are in between the downtown area and Old Montreal (although closer to downtown).

You can visit this site for more details on what the Montreal underground is exactly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_city,_Montreal