Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Montreal Hotel-Which one is Best? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-hotel-which-one-is-best-574062/)

GailLK Dec 2nd, 2005 08:51 AM

Montreal Hotel-Which one is Best?

Will be visiting Montreal on a weekend in January and it's our first time here so not sure where is the best place or area to stay. We like more of a luxury hotel in a great location. An indoor pool would be a plus too. Will have a car, but will probably make use of the subway. Any suggestions? Thank you...

Jojonana Dec 2nd, 2005 09:21 AM

I would suggest ont of the boutique hotels in Old Montreal. Specially in January with the snow, it should be very nice (the best are Hotel Gault, Hotel Nelligan, Place d'Armes Hotel, Le Germain and Le St-James). All are close to metro station (Place d'Armes or Square Victoria). Don't think any of these have a pool, but the personal touches of smaller chic hotels compensate, in my opinion!

GailLK Dec 2nd, 2005 12:35 PM

Jojohana-If you had to pick a "non" boutique hotel like a Sheraton, Hilton, Loews, which one would be best for location and luxury?

mitchdesj Dec 3rd, 2005 02:40 AM

Out of those 3 I would pick the Sheraton; well located and the public areas are nice.

Cat123 Dec 3rd, 2005 06:53 AM

I have stayed in all the hotels you mentioned when in Montreal on business. If the Loews you are referring to is the Vogue, I would pick that one hands down. I have stayed there about 20 times at least. It is much more luxurious than the other 2, by far. The Sheraton and Hilton are both large, anonymous and institutional conference hotels that have no charm. I'm sure that each has nice rooms, but they can't compare to the Vogue. The location of any of the three is fine. The Vogue is across the street from a very nice Montreal luxury department store and just around the corner from rue St. Catherine.

Scarlett Dec 3rd, 2005 04:16 PM

That department store would be Eatons and I have gotten some of my greatest bargains there during the August sales :)
Just an FYI but Le Germain is not in Old Montreal, it is off rue Sherbrooke downtown.
That would be my choice or the Sofitel on rue Sherbrooke.
The Omni on rue Sherbrook has a pool, not sure if it is indoor which would be what you would need in January, for sure LOL~
They have their own garage and valet service.

Scarlett Dec 3rd, 2005 04:18 PM

Arrgghh...that department store is Ogilveys :) not Eatons.

mitchdesj Dec 4th, 2005 03:05 AM

I agree with cat, if the Loews is the Vogue, then out of those 3, that's the best one;
a website check would confirm that.

Yes, Scarlett, Ogilvy's is charming; it's been renovated since you've been here, it's better
than ever.
Eaton's does not exist anymore.
Les Ailes is not what it was, never really took off.

Scarlett Dec 4th, 2005 02:56 PM

Hi, mitchdesj! I
I still have the prettiest earrings that I got on our last trip from Ogilvys, and I do recommend shopping in their MAC shop..
Eatons was gone when we were there last, I do well at the shops where Cargo and DKNY are located...across the street from Bistro Detente that burned down..did they rebuild?
How is the weather?
I am missing Montreal :)

mitchdesj Dec 5th, 2005 03:33 AM

Right back at you Scarlett, Mtl misses you !!
Yes, bistro rock détente was rebuilt; updated and fresh, they sell gourmet foods also. Les Cours MtRoyal is where dkny is. You can acess pretty much the whole underground city from les Cours through tunnels (very useful through the cold winter).
Le Pain Doré has a bistro/café now.

Gail, the Peel subway station is where Les Cours is located.

GailLK Dec 5th, 2005 03:58 AM

Thanks all for the info and I booked the Loews Vogue. Now I have to find a nice place for dinner.
See my next new post...

Scarlett Dec 5th, 2005 09:45 AM

Cafe Ferreira !
Portugese seafood, a wonderful restaurant. Always busy, make reservations, good wines, such good food. We go there every visit ( for years) and it never lost its appeal :)
L'Express on St Denis
Au Petit Extra on rue Ontario

these are favorites off the top of my head..Zen in the Omni for a lovely and a bit different sort of Chinese..

mitchdesj! Yes! Les Cours Montreal!
The underground 'city' is one of the Montreal pluses that I used in my arguments with the Yankee when we considered moving there from Florida instead of here, to Portland Or. He would say "What about the winters?" and I would say" We will live underground!!" :D

To all my Montreal friends..Joyeux Noel!