Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   MONTREAL: Hotel Intercontinental vs. Holiday Inn Select-Centreville (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-hotel-intercontinental-vs-holiday-inn-select-centreville-439981/)

airfare1 Jun 7th, 2004 10:24 AM

MONTREAL: Hotel Intercontinental vs. Holiday Inn Select-Centreville

Hello, if you are familiar with these hotels and/or locations, please let me know which one you would recommend over the other.

ckfior Jun 7th, 2004 12:47 PM

We stayed at the Intercontinental the last time we were in Montreal (2002) and really loved the hotel. Good location and huge, well-appointed rooms/bathrooms. I am not familiar with the Holiday Inn...but we have also stayed at the Hilton Bonaventure which we were not impressed with, too "business-y" for our pleasure trip. We are going back in 2 weeks are are splitting our trip between the Delta Centreville and Auberge du Vieux-Port to try to get the best of both worlds (big, city-type hotel and smaller boutique hotel).

hoopscoach Jun 7th, 2004 04:09 PM

I have never stayed at the Intercontinental, however have stayed for 2 of the last 3 summer trips to montreal at the Holiday Inn Select. I particuarly liked the spa simonode to which guests have access to during their stay. Also very close to Jazz festival site which is the reason we travel each summer to montreal. Finally being in Chinatown is neat with Notre Dame Basilica just a stones throw away as well.

djkbooks Jun 7th, 2004 09:02 PM

Tripadvisor.com is an excellent resource for hotel reviews. You can also check here on Fodor's under hotels.

airfare1 Jun 8th, 2004 05:53 AM

Thank you for your responses. Are either of these better located than the other? Which one is on the less busier street?

DonTopaz Jun 9th, 2004 05:24 AM

The two hotels are in totally different classes (and, presumably, price ranges).

The InterContinental is a lovely hotel on the edge of Old Montreal -- it's in an ideal spot for tourists. The IC is part of an office-hotel complex that includes a number of upscale shops, another hotel (the St James), and a food court that's open for lunch and breakfast. The IC is also less than a block from a subway station.

There's a Holiday Inn on the edge of Chinatown, which is also quite close to Old Montreal -- I'm not sure if that's the HI you mention. That location is reasonably good for tourists, as well.

zootsi Jun 9th, 2004 07:01 AM

The Holiday Inn you are looking at is right in Chinatown. This is an ok location, but wouldn't be my first chioce.The hotel itself has gotten mixed reviews. The Holiday Inn on Sherbrooke would be my preferance. Nice upscale, midtown location. The Intercontinental is kind of on the edge of the downtown area, surrounded by office buildings and construction - again not my first choice for location, but not bad.

BAK Jun 9th, 2004 07:11 AM

Probably (It's been a while since I was there) there's a genuine piece of the berlin Wall in the enclosed laneway behind the Intercontinental.

This is an extraordinary thing, and I suggest a visit.

And after a few minutes of worldly enlightenment, etc., there are some other great sculptures, plus a really good casual restaurant in the same enclosed area.

BAK

airfare1 Jun 9th, 2004 07:49 AM

Thank you to all for your replies.

Zootsi,
I'm locked into one of these two and am looking for the cleaner and quieter one, which is tough for an out-of-towner to pinpoint. Any thoughts?

BAK,
I'd read about the piece of the Berlin Wall and look forward to checking it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

JQReports Jun 9th, 2004 08:13 AM

The piece of the Berlin Wall is still there.

While both hotel locations are on busy streets, I would give the edge to the Intercontinental because the lowest floor is the ninth (I think), the floors below office space. Right away you will be above some of the fray.

DonTopaz Jun 9th, 2004 10:13 AM

The IC is definitely the quieter and more restful of the two.

The Berlin Wall section brought tears to my eyes. (If you can see Good Bye Lenin, that makes a superb duo.)