Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Montreal hotel for 20-somethings? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-hotel-for-20-somethings-304607/)

mattydale Apr 7th, 2003 12:02 PM

Montreal hotel for 20-somethings?

I hate to post a question that might be redundant, but I've spent hours sifting through the Montreal hotel advice on this site and have not quite found an answer to my question. I am planning a trip over Memorial Day weekend with 2 of my friends. We're all late-20s single (straight) guys from NYC who just want to get away for a long weekend. Most of the recommendations I have seen on this forum have been for romantic, cozy, or otherwise honeymoon-ish hotels (nothing wrong with that, but it's not that kind of trip for us!). Can anyone please make a recommendation for a place that is comfortable, has a young-ish clientele, is near good nightlife and restaurants, etc? Money is somewhat of a factor, but we don't want to stay in a dump or in an outlying area. I should mention I tried to book the Hotel de la Montagne (which I heard has a nightclub on the premises) but it was booked solid.<BR><BR>I should also mention that, in order to save a little money, we want to try to get a room with two queen beds and a rollaway/cot. Sofitel said they had no cots whatsoever, so I think that's out.<BR><BR>Thanks very much for your friendly advice.<BR>

Kate2 Apr 7th, 2003 12:10 PM

Hotel Le Germain<BR>hip , young , cool. Very nice hotel.

JackLanghorne Apr 7th, 2003 01:22 PM

Not Le Germain, its too pricey and its more of a boutique thing. I would try Le Cantilie Suites on Sherbrooke, the Delta Montreal on President Kennedy. Both of these hotels are downtown Montreal. In Old Montreal, I would recommend the Springhill Suites by Marriott. If you want to venture to Montreal's Plateau (east end) where there are great clubs and bars, try the Renaissance on Parc Avenue which is right next to St Laurent street. Also try the Wyndham or the Crowne Plaza for St- Denis street. Enjoy Montreal.

pattysuericia Apr 7th, 2003 02:56 PM

Dear Mattydale, Why don't you have a look at my posting INFO ON MONTREAL,QUEBEC;another hotel that comes to mind is the Maritime Hotel(go look at THAT posting)

djkbooks Apr 7th, 2003 07:40 PM

Try Chateau Royale (right on Crescent, nightlife heaven, Hardrock a couple of doors down, for example) with kitchens and not the very lowest but very reasonable rates. <BR><BR>Note that the Memorial Day weekend is VERY popular with Americans and hotel rates are a bit higher as a result.<BR><BR>But, do check out Hotwire and Priceline (after studying www.biddingfortravel.com) where you can hardly go wrong and get a nicer place to stay for a much lower rate than the various other resources.

mattydale Apr 8th, 2003 05:13 AM

Thanks very much for the responses, I will look into these suggestions!<BR>

pattysuericia Apr 8th, 2003 07:22 AM

Mattydale, On INFO MONTREAL QUEBEC you will find hotel maritime plus loads of listings for all kinds of hotels and their various costs-try it &amp; you will see;they are all there

JackLanghorne Apr 8th, 2003 08:08 AM

The Maritime Plaza Hotel is more of a sort of upper-class motel. THe location is not the greatest - on the south end of Guy street and the hotel itself leaves much to be desired. It's not wortwhile.

mattydale Apr 8th, 2003 12:37 PM

Many thanks again for the varying perspectives and suggestions.

pattysuericia Apr 9th, 2003 01:59 PM

Dear Mattydale,<BR><BR> Check this out please. While doing messages in downtown montreal,I noticed a hotel that may possibly be just what you are looking for and in a great location: The Best Western Ville Marie.(Sherbrooke St. West)