Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal Hotel for 1st Time Visitor; Hyatt or Hilton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be traveling to Montreal in the Spring, our first trip there. Our hotel choices based on good available rates are between the Montreal Hyatt and the Hilton Bonaventure. We're looking for a central location with easy access to shops, restaurants, mass transit and the city sights.

Is one more conveniently located than the other? Any preferences between the two as far as accommodations? Thanks in advance for your help, we're looking forward to our visit.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 05:31 AM

They are both in the heart of the downtown. The Bonaventure is in more of the business area, close to the main artery into the city. The Hyatt is near the Place des arts, which is probably a bit more interesting, but it gets a bit seedy as you walk a few blocks east on St. Catherine. Although they are both good locations, they wouldn't be my first choice. If you want a Hilton, there is one on Sherbrooke West. I would consider this area a bit more desirable - still in the heart of downtown, but Sherbrooke is a little more upscale and a closer walk to the very interesting Plateau neighborhood.
You'll love Montreal no matter where you wind up!
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 06:01 AM

The Bonaventure has the advantage of easy connection to the Metro, train station and the underground city, but the area is almost empty at night. Zootsi is right; Montreal is a treat.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for both your replies, they are most helpful. The Hyatt and Hilton weren't our first choices either, but the rates offered at the two properties are quite attractive.

I'll look into the Sherbrooke Hilton, it sounds like a good location although the Metro connections at the Bonaventure would be convenient for us.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM

I'd go with the Sherbrooke Hilton.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Neither.

Have you checked Omni?(Corner of Sherbrooke & Peel.) We like that hotel. It's right across from McGill University. We enjoy the close proxmity to shopping, restaurants, museum.

OB1
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

I booked the Hilton Garden Inn on Sherbrooke. The rate was slightly higher than the Bonaventure and Hyatt, but includes free wireless access so was really a wash price wise. It looks like a great property in a convenient location, so I'm quite happy to have posted here, otherwise I wouldn't have learned about it.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

By the way, does anyone else see the blue lettering in my post? What is that?