Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal for a family's first time?

So here's the list I have been presented with:

Things to do:
Olympic Park
Science Center
Canada Day festivities (whatever those are)
La Ronde Amusement Park
Hop-On, Hop-Off tour (Bus w/ stops at famous tourist spots)
French Quarter\Historic Old Montreal

Would anyone like to suggest an edit?
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:48 AM
BAK

Children? How old? What kind?

There's a really good, but casual, railway museum on the south side of the St. Lawrence River.

Insectarium -- bring a magnifying glass, too.

Pay some specific attention to food: crepes, Montreal smoked meat, bagels, beavertails (not made from real beavers) specifically in Montreal.

BAK
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

One teenage girl, one grade-school girl. We are vegetarians. (Bagels??)

And the magnifying glass will definitely catch the little girl's attention.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:48 AM

Hey Gabs12231993,

I've lived here for 13 years and have never heard of a French Quarter. Perhaps you mean the Quartier Latin, but other than a few restaurants and a French-language theatre, there's not much there really to draw people in, in my opinion.

The Old Montreal/Old Port is a great idea. SOS Labryinthe (a maze) is fun for kids; they alternate tours in French & English there. Renting a bike might be an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon; there are bike rentals all over the city, but Old Montreal's not a bad place to do this.

The "Olympic Park" which is really several things is a good idea too. The Botanical Gardens/Insectarium is a lovely way to spend an afternoon (the Insectarium has magnifying glasses built in to some of the exhibits, so don't worry if you don't bring). Parc Maisonneuve is right here too, which has cycling loops, so not a bad place to go if you wish to do some laps on bicycles (one can rent them at the entrance to the Botanical Gardens, look a "Bixi" stand). There is also the Biodome right nearby with animals in various habitats, but I prefer the...

Biosphere. There are educational games related to protecting the environment there that were a real hit with my 8- and 10-year-old nephews at the time. My favorite Montreal museum hands-down. Plus, Ile Ste. Helene/Ile Notre Dame is a beautiful setting for an afternoon (and possibly an even better place to rent a bike).

Climbing Mount-Royal is a good idea with kids too, especially if one is in the mood to hike!

Unknown to most outside the city, Montreal is "known" for its bagels LOL (brought I believe by Romanian immigrants), especially when hot out of a specially-designed oven /furnace(go to Fairmount Bagel or St. Viateur Bagel). It's sweeter and less pillowy than the New York bagel that most North Americans are familiar with.

Vegetarian restaurants I'd recommend: Aux Vivres is vegan, innovative and terrific (boulevard St.Laurent corner rue Villeneuve), especially for brunch. Le Commensal has several locations throughout the city and has a varied buffet (I like it, although some don't). Chu Chai is Thai & vegetarian and the "mock duck" is remarkably convincing AND TASTY (rue St. Denis, between Duluth and Rachel). Crudessence (near rue St. Urbain on rue Rachel) is raw & vegan & local & innovative with a pleasant terrasse; I always feel good about myself after I eat there. I always enjoy the Chili Sin Carne at La Faim du Monde (on St. Denis, again near Duluth) as well as some of their specials, but not all my friends like this place.

There are other vegetarian restaurants that I like, but these are the most central ones.

Have a great trip! Daniel
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM

The teen ager and adults might be bored by the science center. I strongly second the recommendation for the Biosphere. It is built inside the old Buckminster Fuller geodesic dome from Expo and has great views of the St. Lawrence from the top.

Another option for bikes is the path along the Lachine canal.

Chinatown is near Old montreal and would be interesting for kids who don't live in a city w/ a Chinatown.

There is a vegetarian restaurant called Lola Rosa near McGill.

If you are there on a Sunday go to the tam tam concert
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/Dis...-what-s-hot-en

The tourism site has good event listings and there are many festivals during the summer. It also describes different neighborhoods with walking tours
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM

There are a lot of fun things for kids to do down at the old port - boat ride, paddle boat rental, bike & roller blade rentals, family bike cart rental. IF you are in Montreal before July 12, Cirque de Soleil is in town. This is an absolutely spectacular show, something you will all remember.
The Biodome at the Olympic Park is also lots of fun, with a huge indoor tropical rainforest to walk thru.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Nice! Okay finalized dates are June 27-July 2.

And new list:
Olympic Park
Science Center
Canada Day festivities (whatever those are)
Parc Mont Royal
Underground City & Ethnic Neighborhoods (Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.)
Hop-On, Hop-Off tour (Bus w/ stops at famous tourist spots)
Historic Old Montreal

More revisions needed?