Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Montreal Fireworks viewing (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/montreal-fireworks-viewing-524319/)

carolynf Apr 26th, 2005 07:12 AM

Montreal Fireworks viewing

The last time we were in Montreal when the fireworks shows were happening we watched from the roof of the Auberge du Vieux Port. Are there any similar rooftop bars with a view of the fireworks? Thanks -

bettyo70 Apr 26th, 2005 12:31 PM

Good question, Carolyn! I want to know also.

I remember hearing about some restaurant where you dine on the rooftop and have a great view of the Montreal fireworks.

Can't recall the name of the restaurant...

mtrblack Apr 26th, 2005 05:57 PM

How often, where and when do the fireworks start in the summer? We will be there June 1-10.

carolynf Apr 27th, 2005 04:21 AM

Sorry mtrblack, the fireworks start on June 18th...it is an international fireworks competition and every Saturday night a different country puts on a fireworks show from the river. I think it runs each Saturday through late July. Betty, I believe that the restaurant you are thinking of is Les Ramparts, which is on the lower level of the Auberge du Vieux-Port. They also have a rooftop area with dining and a bar. They do a special fireworks dinner menu that starts I believe at 7 and at the end you see the fireworks - it is about $100 per person if I remember correctly. They have a website that I can't remember the exact address of but search "Les Ramparts" and it should come up. Last summer we had reservations to do this, but the threat of rain caused them to cancel the outdoor dinner. We did have dinner at the regular Les Ramparts restaurant however and it was fantastic. Then, after dinner, we went up to the roof, had a drink and watched the fireworks. Since we have already done this, I was wondering if any places have similar rooftop areas.

bettyo70 Apr 27th, 2005 05:02 AM

Carolyn,

Thanks! You are a wealth of information. To anwer your question, you might want to pose it on one or all of these websites:

1) www.chowhound.com -- under the Montreal section

2) www.virtualtourist.com -- under the MONTREAL Forum, you can ask any question

3) www.slowtrav.com -- again, I'm sure there is a Canada/Montreal travel board

If you learn of anymore rooftops, please post back here. THANKS!

--Betty

carolynf Apr 27th, 2005 01:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We have been to Montreal a bunch of times if you have any other questions!

bettyo70 Apr 28th, 2005 04:36 AM

Carolyn,

Yes -- I have many MONTREAL questions!

1) Have you heard good things about BIENVENUE B&B? We are looking for a charming, clean and safe place to stay. (Also looking at Anne Ma Soeur B&B.)

2) Are there any fun dance clubs that you would recommend (without the drunk teenage crowd; no hip-hop or hard rock)?

3) Which restaurants do you like? (We are looking at La Colombe, Au Petit Extra and Les Caprices de Nicholas.) Loved Toque! when we went and want to try something new.

Thanks!
--Betty

carolynf Apr 28th, 2005 06:00 AM

Sorry but I don't know anything about those hotels. We have stayed at the Delta, Hilton Bonaventure, the Intercontinental and the Auberge du Vieux-Port. This time we are planning on staying at the Loews Hotel Vogue or maybe the Hotel Nelligan or Saint-Sulpice depending on what area the group decides they want to stay in. Not really dance club types - we mostly do lounge/bar scene - as far as restaurants, our all time favorite is Queue de Cheval, we also really like Les Ramparts. If you like steak (and seafood) Queue de Cheval can't be beat. They also have a great covered outdoor lounge with couches and small table areas for a pre or post dinner drink and sometimes have live music inside the bar.

bettyo70 Apr 28th, 2005 03:28 PM

Carolyn,

Doesn't Hotel Nelligan have an open-air terrace that might be good for your fireworks viewing?? Maybe you should call them...

bettyo70 May 1st, 2005 06:34 AM

Carolyn,

I found this on another Montreal website:

The Hotel Place d'Armes also has a rooftop terrace good for viewing the fireworks. They are offering "gastronomical evenings" on their terrace during the Fireworks Festival. Aix, their restaurant, was named by En Route magazine as one of Canada's top ten new restaurants for 2004.

vibi68 May 20th, 2005 06:32 AM

The fireworks are on every Saturday AND Wednesday throughout most of the the month of June and all of July. A good restaurant on Duluth street is "La Prunelle" and close to there on "Rachel" street you'll find a loundge called "Sofa" good jazzy music (and some you can dance to) to enjoy with a Port. My best advise for firework watching is directly on the "Jacques-Cartier" bridge, although there's a lot of people, believe me, you've never seen a real firework if you haven't seen it at least once from the bridge; bring something warm, enven in the summer it gets pretty windy. Enjoy!

Jojonana Jun 1st, 2005 06:16 AM

My favourite restaurant in the city, by far : La Brunoise (http://www.brunoise.ca/) Have a nice trip!

jmariez Jun 1st, 2005 09:02 AM

carol: if you don't mind 'being indoors' go to altitude 737 atop place ville marie. their bar scene is very chill, and the restaurant has a fireworks prix fixe menu. the entire restaurant is all floor to ceiling windows. great view of the entire city, including the fireworks! bonne journee! jmz

carolynf Jun 13th, 2005 01:24 PM

ttt for css

carolynf Jun 13th, 2005 01:26 PM

sorry, I meant ttt for dinny!