Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal Experts! Is there a Walmart or Bay or some such place near McGill University???

Search

Montreal Experts! Is there a Walmart or Bay or some such place near McGill University???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM
wow
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Can somebody tell me if there is a Walmart or a Bay or some such place near McGill University? I may need a Canadian Tire store too! Any Canadian Tire stores close to McGill?( about 10-15 minute drive).
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:43 PM
BAK

There used to be a Canadian Tire in the Alexis Nihon shopping center, which is more or less in downtown Montreal. (west end of the city, almopst at Westmount -- and there's a metro station inside the center, and lots of parking)

Don't know if it is still there.

There's a COSTCO in, more or less, Old Montreal.

All these kinds of stores (maybe not The Bay) are on the south shore, turning left or right after you get off the Champlain Bridge. Less than half an hour from McGill by car.

And there's a big Bay store within walking distance of McGill.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:09 PM

The Bay is very close to McGill, but there is no Walmart downtown. Canadian Tire has the following locations:

MONTREAL DOWNTOWN, QC
ALEXIS NIHON PLAZA
1500 ATWATER AVE. W.
STE-CATHERINE ET ATWATER
514-939-1820
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM
wow
Original Poster

Thanks Brian & pavfec!!
So, where shd we go to buy "University move-in stuff"??...sheets, towels, mattress covers, plastic bins w/ rollers for "under-bed storage"...that kind of thing...Beer Fridge!!!....clock radio...desk lamp...you know the kinds of things I mean. Probably buy the laptop/printer through McGill?
Trying to find a place close to McGill for this shopping expedition. At the end of August we will be flying to Montreal, staying @ a hotel for 5 nights & renting a car for 4 days. Any ideas on how to keep this as simple as possible???
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM

There is also a Zellers in the same shopping plaza as Canadian Tire. I know we bought a lot of the stuff there when we went to move our daughters into Mcgill 3 years ago. The Bay has a store very close to Mcgill and thereis also a Future Shop close by where you can look at laptops/printers
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:04 AM

Hi Wow

Lived in the McGill Ghetto for a few years back in grad student days. The Bay is within easy walking distance as stated; La Cité at the corner of Prince Arthur and Parc directly adjacent to the McGill Ghetto may also be convenient and worth a look-see; there's definitely a Dollarama, an electronics store and an Uniprix that will sell a number of these moving in items you're looking for.

The closest Walmart to McGill I believe is by Namur Metro, north and west of the city on Decarie Blvd, which is more out-of-the-way than the stores mentioned so far.

DAN
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:22 AM
BAK

I'd start at the Costco that's between the Bonaventure Hilton and the River, more or less, assuming you're a Costco member.

Get what you can, take it back to the school, and then head for the south shore. Driving an extra tenm minutes is no hardship, if you can get what you need more easily.

There's a downtown extressway that takes you to the Champlain Bridge. if I remember right, Tachereau Blvd will be you exit from the south end of the bridge. Turn right - west, and there's a Wal-Mart, and a bit further along, another Costco.

(I suggest the downtown Costco only because you can load the car, take the stuff back, and clear space in the car for more stuff.)

OR skip the first Costco, and check what Wal-mart, Costco, and Canadian tire on the south shore have on offer.

Canadian Tire is further east from the bridge exit.

IKEA on your radar? It's the other direction, --IKEA commercial just came on my raid as I typed the word, so that may be a sign from on high -- but that can provide desk, mattress, lamps, dishes, ...

BAK
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM

Excellent advice from BAK. The COSTCO on the way to the Victoria Bridge is quite handy to downtown, and you will find every sort of big box store (including COSTCO as BAK mentioned) you want on Taschereau Blvd on the south shore.

As well as the IKEA on the West Island, there's also one on the south shore in Boucherville, which may be more convenient.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
wow
Original Poster

Problem is that I am going to have to load the car & take it all back to the hotel b/c they will not let us move in until Saturday or Sunday! So, I cannot dmp it all @ McGill & then go back for more! There must bean easier way to do this! I was hoping that I cld go to a store very close to Mcgill & get almost everything done there on the Thursday & Friday b/f "moving in" day. I do not want to be "out there" shopping w/ the kazillion other parents on Saturday! Walmart & Ikea sound too far for me. I hate driving & I will probably get lost! Dan Williams: What is Uniprix? Is it like Walmart or The Bay? Brian, I am not a "member" of Costco....Is Costco closer than Walmart & Ikea? If so, I will join!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
BAK

The downtown Costco (really, a bit south fo fowntown) is closer than Wal-Mart and much closer than IKEA.

The Bay would have akwaed parking.

The downtown Canadian Tire, in Alexis Nihon Plaza, is underneath a parking garage, so that's convenient.

I am in Costco a lot; have not checked for little refrigerators for a whuile. I do know it sells good office chairs. I'm in one right now.

Costco has half a dozen notebook computers, small tv sets of the old fashioned kind and several ultramodern ones -- $750 for one I like. But you can buy one for $100, too.

Good prices on printers, printer ink, copy paper, notebooks, pens in bulk, bags of socks, blank CDs, ...

Don't forget to tent a big enough car; I don't think one trip in a Toyota Echo is going to work.

And finally, it's not all that hard to get across the Champlain Brodge. Yes, it's quite a distance, but most of the trip is on a freeway.

If you hate driving DO NOT cross the the south shore on the Victoria Bridge. Too skinny, making it too scary.

Coxtco -- getthefamily membership wiotha card for your son. He can buy McGill party-size chips, cookies, etc., and he'll save the membership fee just on printer ink.

BAK
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
wow
Original Poster

Brian, I have already reserved a "full size" 4 door car for 4 days. But, in reading your post, I am thinking that maybe I do not need to rent a car.(it also costs $23/day to park the thing & it is valet parking which I hate). Maybe we can just go to The Bay & buy all of the stuff. Then on 'moving in day", rent a car for that day. Wld that work or do you think that I shd stick w/ the rental car for 4 days? I really hate to drive, so I am glad that you have forewarned me about the Victoria Bridge!
How far is Costco from McGill & is it an easy drive?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:00 AM

wow: I'm not sure what to advise. If you "really hate driving" and are unfamiliar with the city, then driving in downtown Montreal can be a bit of a challenge. To add to that, as BAK noted, parking at the Bay on Ste. Catherine can be "awkward", if not downright difficult (I don't think that it has underground parking, but I could be wrong). Parking at the residences,even for off-loading, will be very limited.

For the cost of a car rental, to say nothing of overnight parking at the hotel, you could use cabs for all your shopping, and save time, money, and above all, frustration. As others have pointed out, the Bay is certainly within walking distance of McGill if you have smaller purchases.

The Costco on rue Bridge is perhaps a 10 minute drive from McGill, barring traffic problems.

Has your son or daughter been assigned a residence yet? Most are right on the main campus, but the apartment residences at Solin Hall are some distance away (close to the Atwater Market and several Metro stops away). Also the New Residence on Park (formerly a hotel) is a bit to the east of the campus, but still walkable.

If it's Solin Hall, you won't have to worry about a beer fridge, as all the apartments have full size fridges. It's also closer to the Costco on Bridge.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
wow
Original Poster

Thanks, Laverendrye! Then I think we will "cab it" & walk to The Bay & other "walkable" places.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM

There is easy parking at the Bay downtown. There's a garage across the street from it on De Maisonneuve, on the corner of Aylmer, I think. Aylmer is a one-way going north. From De Maisonneuve, turn right onto Aylmer, then left immediately into the parking garage entrance. The garage is connected directly to the store. The exit is on Aylmer as well.