Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal B & B, neigborhood, metro question- first visit!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Gingerbread Manor? Is it in the area called Plateau? How far is the botanical garden from here? the old city? The Atwater and Talon markets?
is driving or taking the metro better to these places? What other sites are not to be missed? we will have 2 1/2 - 3 days. thanks everyone! Bbobo
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Well... I sleep at the Gingerbread Manor every night.... since I am one of the owners. So I can't really review my own establishment. But I can certainly answer a few questions for you.

We are at the corner of the Plateau, near St-Denis and Sherbrooke streets. http://goo.gl/maps/IK8s for a map.

The botanical gardens are about 5 km away and we strongly suggest that people take the metro there, since you will be doing a lot of walking in the garden.

Old Montreal (we never call it "Old Town" since for Montrealer's "Old Town" is in Quebec City) is about a 20 to 25 minute walk. You can always take the metro if you prefer, it's three stops.

The Jean-Talon market is a beautiful market. It is about 4.5 km from here or 5 metro stops. It is open every day until 6PM. The Atwater market is a much smaller market and it is more oriented to the locals in that neighbourhood. If you need to choose one of the two, I would strongly suggest the Jean-Talon market.

I strongly suggest taking the metro or bus to get around Montreal. Parking in the city is very difficult and expensive. (Not to mention at a premium.) Montreal has a lot of one way streets and of course, rush hour traffic.

Let's see, our the list of things to do in Montreal.....

Notre Dame Basillica

A stroll through the Plateau, from St-Denis to Mont-Royal and then down Mont-Royal. A stroll on St-Laurent boulevard as well.

A walk up/down and through Mount-Royal park and to the Kondiaronk overlook of the city.

Montreal Museum of Fine Art

Montreal Contemporary Art Museum

McCord Museum of Canadian History

Pointe-a-Calliere the Archaeology museum

Biodome (temporarily closed, labour dispute)

Botanical Garden

Insectarium (temporarily closed, labour dispute)

Olympic Stadium tower (for the view)

St-Joseph's Oratory

Underground City (Shopping)
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 05:45 AM

I'm not familiar with this particular b&b, but I can vouch for it's location - possibly the best neighborhood in the city. You are very close to lots of interesting restaurants (many are byob), cafes, shops and a metro stop. This area is always my first choice when I stay in Montreal.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Booked at Gingerbread Manor and already know we should be staying longer! Thanks, for all the helpful information and warm welcome! This may well call for a trip report!
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM

The Jean Talon market is a 'don't miss'. Be sure and arrive in time for lunch. Lots of neat places to eat in and around the market. It's at the Jean Talon stop on the metro orange line. The Botanical Garden is really fantastic. I think the Chinese Lanterns are going on there now. If so, don't miss them. If I remember correctly, it's on the green line at the Pie IX stop. While you're in the neighborhood, be sure and see the Biodome. Montreal is a fun city.
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM

One more thing if you're going to Montreal and returning to the US from Montreal. Don't make the mistake that a friend of ours did with left over Canadian money. He wanted to make sure he had enough so he did not change it until he was through Canadian customs and stopped at a change kiosk. He got raped. The dollar was trading a .998 or something like that and they gave him 75% face value for his Canadian. He had no other options so he went with it. Change at a bank before you go to the airport. If you run out of money, they'll take US gladly.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Better yet, save your Canadian money for a return trip!!!