Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Moncton: Good Destination for a Home Exchange? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/moncton-good-destination-for-a-home-exchange-904283/)

annetti Aug 28th, 2011 05:54 PM

Moncton: Good Destination for a Home Exchange?

The exchange is close to Cap Pele, about 30 minutes from Moncton for either this spring or next summer.

The beach looks beautiful, but neither of us like the beach except to admire it for a few minutes. Maybe one walk on the beach would satisfy us.

We like museums, restaurants, architecture, some pretty scenic drives, walking small villages, but if beach life is the only recreation, we'd probably tire pretty quickly.

Anyone know the area and care to comment. Thanks.

Daniel_Williams Aug 29th, 2011 05:25 AM

I remember your reading my trip report from a year ago on Moncton. I think it's an interesting town, unique for a city its size with its percentage of Acadian French. Beach life isn't all there is recreation-wise, but Moncton is not big; it wouldn't take long to admire what's interesting of the city architecture, visit the good restaurants on offer and the few area museums. I would tend to think of Moncton more as an overnight stop for those visiting the Maritime region or few day stop/jumping off point for exploring Hopewell Rocks and nearby Acadian shore than as a spot for a home exchange.

Best wishes, Daniel

annetti Aug 29th, 2011 07:16 AM

Thanks, Daniel. My memory did not serve me very well. I went back and reread your report. It sounds pretty, but I guess not enough (like you said) to occupy us for several weeks or longer. Too bad, it would take us 6 hrs or so to get there. We live in Southern California. It would be nice for a long weekend. Annetti

mat54 Aug 29th, 2011 08:42 AM

Typically people who visit Atlantic Canada plan to tour around as the sights and attractions - many of them "natural", historic or cultural - are scattered over New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. When I vacation here, I usually plan about 3 or 4 main destinations over a 2 week period and do day-trips from these bases to see and do as much as possible. This is one of my favourite parts of the world, but for myself "several weeks or longer" in any one locale would probably become a bit tiresome as I like to enjoy a wide diversity of sights and activities. This region really warrants touring to appreciate the diverse and spectacular coastal scenery and the many charming small towns and villages.

OceanBreeze1 Aug 29th, 2011 09:36 AM

Hi, annetti, As I recall, you have a Toronto home exchange coming up soon, right? Sept/Oct? I remember your posts about NOTL. Anyway....with respect to your current post: Is Moncton a Good Destination for a Home Exchange, I am inclined to say that while Moncton may be "good", a city like Halifax, Nova Scotia would be a lot better! Architecturally & culturally, Halifax is a wonderful city. From Halifax, you can explore all fo Nova Scotia (make sure you get to the Cape Breton Highlands for a few days), New Brunswick & PEI if time allows.

You have mentioned Spring or Summer, 2012. Summer is the much preferred time to visit Canada's Maritime Provinces: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

One other point for consideration: Halifax International Airport probably offers better flight options from Southern California than Moncton. But, I may be wrong on that. Have you checked flights?

When are you arriving in Toronto?

Ocean

annetti Aug 29th, 2011 10:41 AM

mat54: Thanks for your thoughts. We are shying away from the exchange offer.

Ocean: Yes, Halifax would be the better choice, but with home exchange, one can not always choose a location; sometimes it chooses you. Sometimes, all we can do is respond yes or no. Not too many Halifax exchangers out there! I will remember that summer is better. Thanks.

Yes, we are looking forward to TO; the date is coming closer. We'll be arriving in TO in late September. Everyone keeps telling us that we are going to love it, that it's a great city.

OceanBreeze1 Aug 29th, 2011 12:46 PM

annetti, yes, TO is a great city! In what neighborhood is your home exchange? How long are you staying? Will you be here for Canadian Thanksgiving: Oct 10, 2011? If so, you may want to consider heading north to Algonquin Park. We sometimes go to Killarney Lodge for Thanksgiving dinner after a hike in the park. www.killarneylodge.com Beautiful.

Ocean

annetti Aug 29th, 2011 06:02 PM

Ocean: I'm not sure what neighborhood is called that we will be in, but our postal code begins with M5N.

I understand your TG is a much smaller celebration than ours, so I gather many places will be open. Is turkey the order of the day, not that I eat it, I'm vegetarian, though my husband will enjoy it since he seldom eats it. I understand Algonquin Park will be bright with foliage in early Oct. Looking forward to seeing it.

BAK Aug 30th, 2011 05:30 AM

Some of us could, perhaps, generate some interest in a Halifax home exchange if we knew what part of California you are in.

As for Toronto... this is a pretty good city to visit. Am I remembering correctly that your home exchange is somewhere north of Eglinton, west of Avenue Road?

annetti Sep 1st, 2011 07:02 AM

BAK: I think that was the location suggested either by you or someone else. Thank you for the Halifax offer, but I prefer to find my exchanges through the usual home exchange sites. Very kind of you.