Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   "Moderate" room at Chateau Lake Louise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/moderate-room-at-chateau-lake-louise-374408/)

Tansy Nov 6th, 2003 11:55 AM

"Moderate" room at Chateau Lake Louise?

Hoping to go to Lake Louise for Xmas. The Chateau has a 4th night free deal, and the cheapest room is called a "moderate" room, which has no view and is "close to service areas." Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms, and if so, can you give me the specifics?

Tansy Nov 12th, 2003 10:02 AM

I'm giving this one more shot -- anyone?

Haney20 Nov 12th, 2003 12:11 PM

Wish you had gotten a reply. I wanted to know that myself. Have you stayed in that area before? We are planning a trip in June and are having trouble finding a place that is nice and reasonable?

Tansy Nov 12th, 2003 12:38 PM

Have never been to the area, but it definitely seems like the lodging options are limited. Banff has more, of course, but it's also more crowded.
We're also thinking that we can keep the moderate room reservation, then if it's really a problem when we see it, switch rooms. We're checking in on Xmas Day and so far it seems like they have plenty of room available.

Haney20 Nov 12th, 2003 01:10 PM

Thanks! I will keep watching this site in case someone else responds to you and we can find out more about the rooms.

cindymal Nov 12th, 2003 02:09 PM

check out the fairmont website.their moderate rooms are small but cute.They have the exact size of these rooms listed.If you are not picky I think this room will be ok.If you are I would not suggest this.Numerous people on this site complain how small these rooms are
Have fun

Andree Nov 17th, 2003 08:20 AM

Tansy: can't comment on the moderate rooms, but I've stayed at the Chateau before. You would likely get some noise being close to the service area. If you are a sound sleeper, that wouldn't be a problem! You'll spend most of your time outdoor, lots of activities to do. But call them and ask them to be specific.

Haney: what kind of accommodation are you looking for in June? I would like recommend a place I've stayed at, a stone throw from Lake Louise if you like charming little log cabins...Let me know if you would like the info.

Doh Nov 17th, 2003 09:58 AM

I have limited experience, but I don't think there is anyplace in/around Lake Louise that I would really consider reasonable (hostel aside). We stayed at Paradise Lodge, which may be the cabins Andree was referring to, and is nice but still seemed somewhat expensive for what it is. One alternative to consider would be staying somewhere between Banff and LL, such as Johnson's Canyon, or past LL (forgot the name of the town).

Andree Nov 18th, 2003 09:13 AM

I was referring to Paradise Lodge indeed. I don't know what Haney20 is considering reasonnable; if she is from the US, $189 CDN sounds resonneable! In the not-so-resonneable category, I would put the Chateau LL,Banff Springs, The Post, etc. Johnston Canyon`s cabins don`t have kitchens and are comparable in price to Paradise Lodge. The accommodations past LL are also similar prices. I thought that Paradise Lodge was nicely located and appointed for the price. Nothing is really cheap in the Rockies at anytime of the year!! I`ve been to that area 7 times and would not stay in Banff again. I would return to Paradise Lodge in a second! (actually going back in early June)

Doh Nov 18th, 2003 09:48 AM

Paradise Lodge was nice, but I remembered it being more expensive than that, so I went to check the website and it turns out they, like many other places, aren't even open in Dec.

Anyway, hope you all have great visits. :)

Borealis Nov 18th, 2003 11:41 AM

We love to stay at Baker Creek Chalets, it's like a home away from home, cozy and comfortable. We have stayed in various "cabins" at different times of the year - June, September, November - and always enjoyed our stay so much that we didn't want to leave!!
They are open year round, and are in a quiet spot by a creek approximately an 8 minute drive away from Lake Louise (on the Bow Valley Parkway). Plus they have the cutest wood carvings of bears everywhere. And a "guest book -journal" in every cabin so the you can leave your impressions, and read the opinions of previous guests too.
There is also a dining room on location.
If you want to take a look, their website is :
http://www.bakercreek.com/