Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Moderate Hotel Quebec Vieux (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/moderate-hotel-quebec-vieux-318069/)

NYDee May 18th, 2003 04:50 AM

Moderate Hotel Quebec Vieux

We are looking for a moderate priced place to stay in Old Quebec City. Upper or lower town. We have stayed at the Dominion, but because of our travel companions would like to find something for around $100 CD.

So far, we are considering Auberge du Tresor and Auberge La Caravelle. Has anyone stayed in either of these? Any comments? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

I have read some "horror" stories on rants and raves about some of the places in old town.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

pattysuericia May 18th, 2003 07:38 PM

I truly wish I could help you but all I can say(since it's been some time since I was there) is that there are lots of bed & breakfasts,hotels & old-fashioned Inns.
Go to this website at :
www.bonjourquebec.com or call toll free
at 1-877-266-5687(May 19th is a holiday here)to order your free comprehensive booklet on Quebec. Hopefully,others will help

NYDee May 19th, 2003 03:02 AM

Thanks for the info on the website. I have been there and to several others looking for moderate lodging. We have been to Quebec City several times, but stayed in more expensive places. I had narrowed it to these two and now Hotel Le Saint Paul and was in hopes I could get some more info on these three. Of course we are open to others a s well

zootsi May 19th, 2003 07:12 AM

If you can do a B&B, you might consiider the James Thompson. This is a newly refurbished very old house in the upper city in a great location.

NYDee May 19th, 2003 08:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestion of the James Thompson. I did go to the website and it looks interesting. However, ONE of our travel companions smokes! This excludes B&Bs for the most part.

Strive May 20th, 2003 10:34 AM

NYDee,

Last September we stayed at a hotel in Lower Town called Hotel des Coutellier (hoteldescoutellier.com). This is a small (24 rooms) and moderately priced hotel located on Rue St.-Paul right across from the marina. The staff was friendly, the room was spacious and well equipped, and the location was excellent. We were right near the heart of the art and antique district and there were many great restaurants and boutiques nearby.

While not a full-service hotel, the Hotel des Coutellier does offer basic services such as dry cleaning, etc., and, the small but capable staff will even deliver room service from the restaurant next door. One of the best features of this hotel; however, is their continental breakfast. At 7am each morning the front desk clerk sneaks up to your room (they didn?t awaken us once) and hangs a picnic basket of goodies on a hook by your door. The basket contains croissants, muffins, yoghurt and juice?and you don?t have to leave your room! This was a really nice touch.

One last thing I would like to add is that the hotel is run by a man named Jean-Sabastien Page who is a veritable font of useful information on everything from restaurants to history to excursions. I picked his brain for information often and he was only too happy to oblige. We would definitely stay at the Hotel des Coutellier again.

Hope this helps,

Strive

pattysuericia May 25th, 2003 06:10 AM

NYDEE,You can recoup your hotel tax,keep your receipts & file the necessary refund form obtained at the hotel.

djkbooks May 25th, 2003 10:35 PM

Please note that visitors can be refunded 7% federal tax (TPS), but not the 7.5% provincial tax (TVQ) on hotel stays, if you meet the requirements. Note that many hotels distribute refund forms which are processed through third parties who deduct a substantial fee. For official details, see http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/tax/nonre...ors/tax-e.html

NYDee May 27th, 2003 04:11 AM

Since we live in the Rochester, NY area, we are frequent travelers to Canada. We always get the GST refund at the boarder. We have even spent enough on occassion to get the ontario provencial tax refund. Will say however, since the SARS scare we have curtailed our trips to Toronto. Although my husband did travel there on business during the height of the scare.

pattysuericia May 27th, 2003 04:44 PM

Hi NYDEE,

Enjoy your stay-here's another site for quebec www.quebecregion.com