Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mitchdesj in Montreal: How close is Dawson College ( Sherbrooke & Atwater) to McGill?

Mitchdesj in Montreal: How close is Dawson College ( Sherbrooke & Atwater) to McGill?

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
wow
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mitchdesj: My heart goes out to everyone in Montreal today. I know that you are in downtown Montreal & hope that you are ok. How close is Dawson College(Sherbrooke/Atwater) to McGill University on Sherbrooke? How close to the McGill "New Rez" on du Parc?
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
BAK

Far enough that there is no need to worry.

Dawson is on the west end of the downtown core and McGill is much nearer the east end.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
wow
Original Poster

thx, Brian
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM

I teach at another Cegep (same designation as Dawson: kind of like 12th grade & Freshman year of university wrapped in one, although Dawson has more cont. ed.) located about than 8 minutes by foot from Dawson. The neighbourhood around Dawson is nothing I would call a particularly "bad" area, an area I've passed through frequently. People I know work at, teach at and attend Dawson.

Our student body & faculty was in a state of shock, a few students knowing some people that were shot (many of my students went to high school with their Dawson counterparts). McGill Parc residences are about 30 minutes by foot away, where I teach is up a hill, but if some whacko sets their mind to it, nowhere that people congregate is immune to random, senseless, hate-filled violence. All these 18-20 year-olds, it breaks my heart.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM
wow
Original Poster

Oh, Daniel, it breaks mine too. Just know that you are in our thoughts tonight & in the days ahead.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Very sorry to hear this news. Thinking of all of you in Montreal.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:39 AM

I'm glad Bak responded fast enough to reassure you; I was not online till late.
My daughter had a meeting half a block from Dawson yesterday and left minutes before the shooting started; she will be teaching a class at Dawson this fall, not sure how I feel about this right now but what can you do, we all have to move on.

Dawson is 2 metro stops from where I live; I do my errands in that area all the time.
I lived in Denver at the time of the Columbine shootings; only a few miles from there.
The attacker is dead, shot by the police; can't say I'm sad about that.
thanks for the support.