Notices

Martimes in 3 weeks

Feb 26th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Martimes in 3 weeks

My husband & I are planning a driving trip from Ontario to the Maritimes this summer & I am looking for advice on places that we shouldn't miss! We will be bringing our road bikes as we hope to do some cycling along the way. Our plan is to visit some friends in the Eastern township of Quebec for a couple of nights, possibly venture on to Quebec City for 2 nights & then head to New Brunswick/Nova Scotia/Cape Breton/PEI. We are interested in enjoying the landscape & the culture of the maritimes more so than the city life! Any suggestions you might have would be helpful:0)
Thanks!
Feb 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM

I guess that if you're bringing your bikes, you should probably target PEI moreso than would most. The rolling countryside and sparsely traveled roads make PEI wonderful for bike riding. Based on your words, I think Quebec City to Rimouski, then down the eastern shore of NB (Miramichi, etc.)... Hopewell Cape, NB first (and maybe Fundy Nat'l Park)... then over the bridge to PEI... maybe to stay 3 or 4 days, if you are inspired to fill it with bike riding. MAYbe then ferry to Pictou, NS... then up to Cape Breton for perhaps 3 or 4 nights there.

Later, decide if indeed you want to spend any time at all in Halifax, and if not, just drive straight through it and visit Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg.

Perhaps a spot on the southeastern shore of the Bay of Fundy would suit you for another pause along the way (of a couple of nights). Perhaps a complete circuit of the southern part of NS would be suitable with time not otherwise spent in Halifax.

There must be plenty of suitable areas in NS for bike riding and I'd definitely attempt same somewhere in between Truro, NS and Parrsboro, NS if you determine it to be safe (from traffic, I mean).

You can have a great time, and stick very close to nature with 3 weeks spent as you describe.
Mar 1st, 2013, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you NorthwestMale for sharing your suggestions. Will take all of them into consideration when making our travel plans:0)
Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
BAK

Come back through Maine, making sure you visit Acadia National Park. Leaving Canada via Campebello Island requires some enjoyable ferry rides.

BAK

Search this Thread