Marriott Hotel at the Eaton Center

Feb 4th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Maury

Marriott Hotel at the Eaton Center

I would like to know if the area near the Marriott hotel at the Eaton Center is dangerous. I saw in one of the travel books that the area is a haven for pickpockets.

Feb 4th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Susan

I worked for years at the office building next to that hotel. Right now I'm working at a client's site which is in the Eaton Centre. Maybe it is a haven for pickpockets, but I've never heard that it was worse than any other area of the city.

That's not to say that Toronto is bad for that kind of theft or that it can't happen. Twice I've had my wallet stolen - both times on the streetcar. I still take transit (every weekday to work), but I am now more careful!

Feb 4th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Maury

Thanks Susan for your reply, but I would like to know if The area around the Eaton Centre is safe to walk around at night.

Feb 4th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Huong

Maury, My husband and I visited Toronto around December of last year. We walked around the Eaton Center area about 10pm at night and we felt really safe. There many others walking around also. You'll run into bums on the street but other than that, we didn't have a bad experience. In fact, we love Toronto so much that we are coming back in March.

Feb 4th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Brian Kilgore

Why you would want to want around the neighborhood is a bit of a question, but, generally, it's fine.

Walking back to the hotel after dinner or the theatre will not be a problem.

Several of Toronto's live theatres are on the other side of the Eaton Centre from the hotel, but you can walk along the north or south side of the Eaton Center to Bay, and then up Bay Street to the hotel.

You can walk up Bay Street to good restaurants on Elm Street, a couple of blocks north, and walk down again after dinner without being at risk.

The haven for pickpockets comment was nuts. For pickpockets to work successfully, they need very crowded locations where people don't notice being bumped. No one is going to be that close to you near the Eaton Marriott. Inside the Eaton Center, be as cautious as you would be in any giant shopping mall.

Plus it's a good hotel.

BAK