Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Marriott Bloor/Yorkville vs. Delta Chelsea (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/marriott-bloor-yorkville-vs-delta-chelsea-543300/)

Chris_C Jul 11th, 2005 10:14 AM

Marriott Bloor/Yorkville vs. Delta Chelsea

I'm planning a long Labor Day weekend in Toronto for my wife, myself and our 9 year old active son. I've narrowed our preferences to either the Delta Chelsea or the Marriott Yorkville.

In terms of location is either one particularly better than the other?

Based upon their websites, The Chelsea seems to be much more kid friendly. The Yorkville seems sort of stuffy and more for business travelers. Is that a correct assessment?

Thanks in advance for your help.

hdm Jul 18th, 2005 05:17 PM

The Chelsea has an indoor waterslide that your son would probably love and is closer to the Harbourfront, the Toronto Islands, the Hockey Hall of Fame, Skydome, CN Tower, etc.

The Yorkville Marriott is in a very elegant part of town, often compared to Fifth Avenue.

Hope this helps.

JM Jul 18th, 2005 08:48 PM

Either location is fine, though I prefer the shopping and walking on Bloor and Yorkville where the Marriott is located. Both hotels are very convenient to the subway and you can get to Harbourfront or anywhere else very easily and quickly. Check out Centre Island...your son will enjoy the ferry ride and the amusement park on the island - pack a picnic or purchase food on the island.

BAK Jul 19th, 2005 04:11 AM

Delta Chelsea, for sure, based on your son.

And it's a fine hotel, anyway.

Marriott is good hotel too; it's just tht the Chelsea is a great place for kids.

BAK

hdm Jul 19th, 2005 10:14 AM

I know you just asked about hotels but just while I'm thinking about kid-friendly places, another thing your son might enjoy is Ontario Place -- IMAX movies, great playground thingy, etc. And the CNE will be on over the Labour Day weekend (that's the Canadian National Exhibition)and that's lots of fun for kids -- big midway, games, exhibition buildings -- and lots for adults too. This is a real Toronto tradition and not to be missed. (I believe there's a combo price for the CNE and Ontario Place which are very near each other.)The CNE is easily accessible by TTC and it's fun both in the day and the evening but leave a lot of time for it -- it can't be 'done' in just a couple of hours. We have a good zoo too but it's in the pretty-far-off suburbs.
Look at www.toronto.com for events.

Chris_C Oct 16th, 2005 02:23 PM

I stayed at the Delta Chelsea with my wife and 9 year old step-son for Labor Day weekend. My reaction to the Chelsea is mixed:
It is very kid friendly. The pool is kind of small, but the 4 story corkscrew waterslide was very cool (part of it exits the building). I admit I tried it a few times.

It never felt as large as it really it. At 1500+ rooms, this is a BIG place.

It's on a not-so-great block of Younge St. Out our window we had a nice view of the "gentlemen's clubs" on the street. Although a 1 block walk either way gets noticeably better.

I specifically requested a room with high-speed internet access so I could work at night. The room had a router, but after 2 hours of trying to get it to work, they finally realized that the Net hadn't been hooked up on my floor!

The restaurants are decent at best. Even the more upscale Bistro was only so-so.

Overall, despite a few problems, I would recommend this hotel - especially if you're traveling with kids.