Bruce Penninsula

Search

Bruce Penninsula

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruce Penninsula

I am planning a trip to the Bruce Penninsula from the Detroit area in a few weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations about hikes, scenic views, B and B's in the area, Saint Marie among the Hurons, and the Trans Canada between SSMarie and Nipigon? I appreciate any suggestions you may have about this beautiful area!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:22 AM

Read the thread called "A Southerner in Canada" it had a lot of info about the Bruce.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:57 AM
JMM

The Bruce peninsula is one of the most scenic parts of Ontario. Below I have a list of websites that you may find useful. Personal scenic walking favorites of mine are: The Bruce Peninsula National Park - the Georgian Bay trail will take you to cliffs and grottos. Georgian Bay Islands National park - take one of the boats to Flower Pot Island (be sure to get one that will drop you off and pick you up later). The island is lovely - incredible rock formations and caves.
Favorite scenic drives: Highway 6 is pretty boring BUT you can do some lovely detours: Drive into Lion's Head and then drive north through the town and along the shoreline. Drive into Dyer's Bay and drive north to Cabot Head lighthouse. In Wiarton stop at Spirit Rock - a short walk will get you to some lovely views of Colpoys Bays. If you are driving north from Detroit to Owen Sound - at the Owen Sound bypass - stop at Inglis Falls - a great place to picnic and the falls are pretty impressive especially after a rain. The websites:
www.brucepeninsula.org
www.greybruce.org
www.tobermory.org
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the tips...is the Algonquin worthwhile? We are very interested in experiencing some of the wildlife...wolves, birds, etc.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:26 PM
JMM

In Algonquin your chances of actually seeing a wolf are pretty slim (they avoid people) BUT at night (particularly if you go on a park ranger led "wolf howl&quot you have a good chance of HEARING them. The only 'big' animals I have seen in Algonquin are moose(very big indeed) and deer. On the Bruce I have seen deer, fox, bear, porcupines, snapping turtles and once - a fisher. In any wilderness area in Ontario you will see lots of birds - including (if you are lucky) loons(once again you are more likely to HEAR loons than to see them), great blue herons (keep your eyes open in swampy areas), owls ( look up in the trees at night). Whether or not you choose to go to Algonquin really depends on the time you have (e.g. a week is NOT enough time to see the Bruce and Algonquin in my opinion).
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips regarding the Algonquin. The trip is going to be for 2 weeks...any recommendations about accomodations in the Bruce Penninsula,(Huntsville, Collingswood, Lion's Head??) Algonquin, and perhaps Manatoulin Island? Thank you so much!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 08:21 AM
JMM

Huntsville would be a good place to look for accomodation for Algonquin. For the Bruce my first choice for accomodation would be Tobermory because it is so close to the National Park and it has lots of motels and restaurants BUT book ahead. On nice weekends Tobermory can fill up completely. Most of the motels etc are OK - nothing special. The only place I would NOT recommend is the Tobermory Lodge - it has not been well kept up. Sorry I cannot give much in the way of actual recommendations but we have a cottage there and consequently do not stay at motels. We used to stay at the Grandview - which has lovely views from it's restaurant (which is quite good but expensive). My 2nd choice for Bruce accomodation would be Lion's Head (very sleepy and quiet with a beautiful bay). Collingwood is not on the Bruce - it is pleasant but would be a long drive from the best parts of the Bruce. The ferry ride to Manitoulin is lovely (about 1 hour and 45 minutes).