First Trip to Vancouver

Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Trip to Vancouver

Will be spending a week in Vancouver for the first time...not familiar with it at all. Recommendations for must-see's and do's? Also good restaurants and neighborhoods to checkout? Will be traveling with my husband tying a business trip and wedding anniversary trip together. Will have most late afternoons and evenings open...
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Where are you travelling from?

What are your interests? That'll help us recommend must-see/do's, restaurants and neighbourhoods.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 05:51 PM

lianev, I am not a local to Vancouver, but it is a favorite. Big reasons? The wondrous nature of the sea/mountains. The absolutely delightful people. The food - seafood from chilly waters and locally sourced produce (berries especially).

So my first question is, what time of year? As much as I love it, weather-sensitive weenies like me do consider the rainfall. My favorite time is fall; it is less rainy. I get the feeling that you will be going soon, so may be getting into the cooler rainy season. We can offer better suggestions if you give a timeframe.

Vancouver (downtown) is compact and very walkable. Robson Street is a primo shopping area. Lots of restaurants there, and in many other areas. Public transportation is abundant.

If I had a week and had never been there before, I would put these on my list:

- Stanley Park. It is very close to downtown and right at the point where Lion's Gate bridge going over to North Van. There's a lot to do there, and I'll let the locals fill that in.
- Grouse Mountain. You can spend a day and even have dinner or lunch. Think 1/2 - 1 day
- Capilano Suspension Bridge. They have greatly improved and expanded it. 2-4 hours
- Lynn Canyon. Near Capilano, but free public park. Also has a suspension bridge.
- De Dutch Pannekoeke House. Awesome for breakfast, and our favorite is the little old place in North Van on your way to Capilano. http://www.dedutch.com/
- Granville Island. You might have seen this during the media spots while the Winter Olympics were playing. Neat shops and restaurants. Water taxis can take you there, or you can drive.
- Lonsdale Quay. You could take the public transport (water ferry) from Vancouver across to this for the best effect. Just some shopping and there are some interesting food spots. Love the local soups, esp. seafood soups.

Those are just a very few. Give us some idea of what you like, and we can be more specific. Vancouver has so much to offer.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 04:19 AM

Some of our favorite restaurants: Joe Fortes (downtown Vancouver), Rodneys Oyster House (Yaletown area downtown Vancouver), Salmon House in West Vancouver for a gorgeous view (try for a window table at sunset). There are so many great places to eat, though.

Another place with amazing vistas is Horseshoe Bay. You might go over to the Boathouse for dinner, and watch the ferries come and go as you eat. This is definitely close enough to downtown to make a trip over for dinner. Without traffic about 20 minutes, but you will get some rush hour in the afternoons.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 07:57 AM

Walk the Stanley Park seawall (or rent a bike & ride the wall)
Grouse Mountain
Granville Island Market
Steveston docks (if you have a car)
Robson Street
Vancouver Giants hockey game to see the hockey stars of tomorrow
BC Lions football game for a different twist on an American sport
Vancouver Whitecaps fora soccer game
Museum of Anthropology
Oh gosh - there are just so many things to see & do
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM

We enjoyed the Water Street Cafe in Gastown and Brix, just off Robson in the downtown area near the stadium.
Granville Island Market is a must and Stanley Park has a whole lot to see. Love finding a spot and watching the ships enter and leave the harbor.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:54 PM

arkaykay - it had been several years at least since we had visited Grouse Mountain, and we returned just last month. What a difference!

Once across the suspension bridge, there is a wonderful set of treetop walkways, with lots of interesting stops, as well as paths among the trees. So much work has been done to make this an interesting and informative visit.

Also, on the "mainland" side, the walkway along the cliff wall (not really scary, but great views) was a treat, as was the path back along the top. Again, a lot of placards with interesting facts.

So now, I think it is well worth the price of admission. We spent a couple of hours, but it could very easily be a half-day trip.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM

Stanley park is a must if you are into nature. We have great memories of a day spent hiking around the park capped off with a great fireworks display over the water. Also, if you have time, take a boat tour up the coast. I don't know if the boat/steam train option is still available, but it was lots of fun. Don't miss Capilano...beautiful scenery and cute shops.

--Annie
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Ah Sludick, I think you're thinking of the Capilano
Suspension Bridge on Capilano Road in North Van. The company
has added some excitemen to their property to make it worth
the $$ they charge.

I think you'd be in a whole lot of trouble if you went for
a cliff walk on top of Grouse. BTW, the Grind is not closed
after the first big dump of the season.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Oh my gosh, I need to pay better attention to my typing! Yes, of course - Capilano Suspension Bridge.

As to Grouse - once, we went up there in late May, and all those huge wooden statues were nearly buried in the snow. Still had the lumberjack show and the Birds of Prey demonstration, and the grizzlies were out. Those snowy pictures are among my favorites.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Your typing?...mine is pretty sad - 'excitement' and the
Grind is NOW closed for the season.

There was a lotta snow up there this Spring and they are
hoping for a similar snowy scenario this year. Almost
time for DH to start waxing - and hopefully not waning.