Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maine to St. John's, NF and everywhere in between!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a thread going in the US forum but need some info on Canada as well. My girlfriend and are planning what I hope will be a very special trip from Baltimore through New England and on to Newfoundland to stay a few days with some distant family.

I understand my itinerary in progress is "ambitious," as someone in the other forum called it, but we haven't travelled much and are trying to pack as much as we can into 2 weeks (plus?) or so late in June and into July while still maintaining some sanity and managing to take in some of the sites. Here goes:

Baltimore to NJ to visit Grandma (1 nt)
NJ to Portsmouth, NH (1 nt)
Portsmouth, NH to Bar Harbor, ME (2 nts)
Bar Harbor, ME to Alma, NB area (1 nt)
Alma, NB to North Sydney, NS (1 nt on the ferry)
P.A.B, NL to Rocky Harbour, NL (1 nt)
Rocky Harbour, NL to Twillingate, NF (1 nt)
Twillingate, NF to St. John's, NF (4 nts)

The drives back across Newfoundland and through NS/NB are very much up in the air, perhaps including a night(s) of camping or more B&B stays. This is where your help would be much appreciated.

After NB, it'll be Kennebunkport and Cape Cod and home to Baltimore. We're relatively young and active, very interested in beautiful scenery, especially coastal, and not opposed to the occasional pub. We are on a bit of a budget but wouldn't mind splurging here and there. I've tried to keep the driving down somewhat, even though I'm leaning towards skipping the CAT ferry as the itinerary suggests. These forums have gotten me this far. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:40 PM

After reading your post and what you want to see in two weeks is very ambitious. We did the Newfoundland trip you mention in 6 days - 3,000 kms and really one day that we didn't have to drive. We vowed the next time we would give ourselves two weeks if not more.

Alma to the Nfld ferry will be a long drive (about 6 hours). I would suggest you catch the midnight ferry and get a berth. That way you can catch a few hours sleep. You can get private berths with your own bathroom.

Port Aux Basques to Rocky Harbour. We did it in one day and tried to explore Gros Morne. I would give yourself two days here at least.

Rocky Harbout to Twillingate. Again, two days.

St. John's - four days is worth it here.

Your drive back from St. John's to Port Aux Basques would take you 10 hours probably more. It is a long jaunt. Again, I would book a B&B and take the early morning ferry across to Cape Breton. You may want to stay in Nova Scotia that evening and then continue back to the States the next day.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

I'll see if I can push for the extra days in NF. I know the drives will be tough. The plan you mentioned for the trip back is similar to what I'd had in mind. The problems are where to stay and timing everything to catch the ferry back to NS. I thought of possibly camping somewhere around the halfway point and again catching a late ferry, sleeping on the boat. Otherwise, we have to find a worthwhile place to stay near enough the ferry to get in early enough to make our ship, and it leaves us one long drive the day before. I'm also considering a stay in NS or NB on the way back to the states, but would love some recommendations there as well.

Any campers out there that have enjoyed a stay in one of the parks of NF or along the drive through NS or NB? Any highly recommended B&Bs along the same route? Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:59 AM

After reading both of your threads, my impression is that you've created an itinerary that could only match those viewed on 'The Amazing Race'. Build in some <i>down time</i> by ferrying between provinces. You can cut costs here by sleeping in the lounge areas and by bringing your own food/drinks onboard. I'd also caution you that it's probably not wise to do much driving after dark while in Newfoundland due to the moose population there..... far more deadly than hitting a deer due to weight &amp; size.

Cape Breton Island in NS is very scenic and you <b>must allow</b> time to drive the Cabot Trail around the northern tip. The gravel road up to Meat Cove takes you to a primitive campground where you could spend the night. The lighthouse route along NS southern shore is also a must do. Try to overnight in Lunenburg or Peggy's Cove.

When in NF, you could save $$ by staying in Cow Head just north of GMNP if you're considering a B&amp;B in this area. Like Tanya, I'd recommend allowing 2 days to explore the park. From there, I'd suggest driving directly to Twillingate (1 day) and if you can work in an additional day, spend it on the Bonavista Peninsula. Be sure to allow time for a stop at the Terra Nova Visitors Center before heading on to St. John's.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

I know it sounds a bit crazy. I'm trying to pare things down a bit. The CAT seems a pretty steep price to pay without a large gain in hours spent traveling. It's also difficult to time the ferry without leaving one location or arriving at another in the middle of the night. I am certainly open to suggestions and advice.

Also, with perhaps only a week to spend in NF and 3-4 days in St. John's with family, I'm left with only 3 days or so to divide among GMNP and Twillingate, 2 of the favorites of the forums. Which gets the extra day?

Doesn't anyone out there own a small plane that they'd be willing to use to shuttle us around for a couple weeks? Just kidding... Please keep the info coming. THANKS.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I'll have to join in the chorus--allow more time! You should consider takign the Cat--though it is expensive--as the southern part of Nova Scotia is also very beautiful--including amazing backwoods wilderness and coastline. The Cat does actually save time on a drive like this (you could also consider it on the way back). There is also the much cheaper ferry from St. John NB to Digby, NS, which get you to southern NS, you then dive up the 103 highway to Halifax. For the splurge in Nova Scotia, check out Queene Anne Inn, Halliburton House, and Trout Point Lodge.

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we're limited to the 2+ weeks between June 26 and July 12 or so and we have to travel from Baltimore which eats up some time. I've tried to cut down our must see locations, but in order to keep the non-stop driving days within reason, several stops are built in anyway. I'd like to do the best I can with those. Again, thanks everyone. The information is very useful!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I would opt for Bar Harbour and then continue to drive - not take the CAT. Save the southern part of Nova Scotia for another trip.

The drive to New Brunswick/Nova Scotia from Bar Harbour isn't that bad - can be done in one day of non-stop driving - even taking the long route (ie backroads). Getting across the border into the Canada - not as many line-ups. But ... crossing back into the States - decide which crossing you will use. I have seen some pretty long line-ups in St. Stephen. I assume you are heading to Fundy National to camp? If looking for the tides re Hopewell Rocks, check the website to see when low tide is. You may be able to do it on your way from Alma to Moncton. If you do take the midnight ferry to Newfoundland, that gives you full day - make sure you make a reservation for the ferry - both ways.

I can't really comment on Twillingate since it was so foggy when we were there, we literally only saw what little was visable. We did stay at a great B&amp;B (not in the guidebook and I can't remember the name) and had a wonderful dinner at the little hotel in the village. Gros Morne definitely warrants more than one day - especially if you like to hike. Lots to explore.

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tanya. I'd already planned to drive from Bar Harbor to NB. We enjoy camping from time to time and thought we might use that as a way to cut some costs for a night... it's not a must. I'll have to look into driving all the way to Cape Breton and spending a night and the next day there to do the scenic loop. Then, maybe catch the ferry the next day. Again, I don't need NB in our itierary really. It just seemed like a nice place to break up the driving and I'd read about Fundy here. If there's a way to cut a day or so and go from ME to NS and time it all with the ferries, I might try it.

Thanks again all.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM

I would forget about cape breton and get out to nfld as soon as you can. Coastal nfld is more scenic and interesting than nova scotia -and you have very limited time available.

Jerry
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 01:15 AM

The Cabot Trail is breathtaking - but really warrants more time than one day. Gros Morne is very rugged and beautiful - can't say one is better than the other.

Your drive across Newfoundland from Deer Lake to St. John's is boring. Not a lot to see. The coastal areas are definitely where it is at but don't afford you a quick drive time. Breaking the drive one way (ie going to Twillingate) will give you some better scenery.

My suggestion is - give yourself the time in Newfoundland - you'll be glad you did. Save Nova Scotia and New Brunswick for another time when you can simply explore what those provinces have to offer.

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:19 AM

The time you are travelling the days are long so your drives should be doable although you won't see much of the scenery...only from the car window..It is worth the stop at Alma..Check out Hopewell Rocks and the high tides(minutes away from Alma)...Maybe both days you are in the area to see the different tides(check out tide times when you are there)..definitely go on the ferry at night so you have more daylight driving..Your Nfld drives are doable an extra night in the Rocky Harbour area might be a good idea...I did the Nfld drives in this time frame..Do not drive at night!...Looked at it like &quot;I am seeing where I want to return&quot; and I definitely want to return...so will you...Enjoy what you can and see the rest next time!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I thin I'm nearing a workable plan. In an attempt to keep the drive back across NF &quot;doable,&quot; I'd like a midway stopping point if anyone has one to suggest. This could be a camping stop, a modest B&amp;B, whatever. I've looked a bit at Notre Dame Park as a camping option. It's right off the TC Hwy and snaps the drive more or less in half. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks again all.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Why are you driving back across Nfld? You can take the ferry back to Sydney from Argentia which is closer to St.John's.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Believe me I've considered it, but it will take a lot of coaxing to get my girlfriend onto a 14 hour ferry in open ocean. Can anyone provide me a decent report on that trip?
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Sanador, the Argentia ferry is a huge seaworthy vessel capable of carrying hundreds of passengers.....<i>sooooo much</i> safer than driving at night on the Trans Can with moose on the loose! You can book a berth or hang out in the lounge areas. It's my understanding that late season crossings can be a bit rough sometimes, but you should have no problems whatsoever in July. Ask your girlfriend to check on this with her Newfie relatives, some of which were most likely seafaring folks who will have a good laugh at her expense.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... that sounds fun in and of itself. The Argentia ferry cuts one night's stay in NF, but still leaves me spending a night in NB most likely, on the way back down to the NE coast. Tinkering tinkering with the itinerary... glad this trip is a ways off!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Spend the night in Fredericton NB on the way back...I love this city.. Right on the St.John River..Stay downtown,park your car and walk...Enjoy! Then cross the border at McAdam NB...small crossing no lineups.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Any ideas for a Eastern (St. John's area) Newfoundland wedding? We're talking a very small, intimate, informal ceremony on the coast overlooking the ocean... something like that. Any beautiful vistas come to mind? Would July weather cooperate?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM

I'm inclined to second those who want to give you a chance to see Cape Breton, although I agree Hopewell Rocks are fascinating, the Bay of Fundy tides are really only impressive if you are there from low to high tide--12 hours. The drive from Alma to North Sydney will take most of the day, &amp; you would have to rush to even &quot;touch on&quot; the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton's most scenic area.
I say this as a Newfoundlander who lived in NB four years -- NS is more scenic than NB -- but of course I think NL is the best lol!
If your girlfriend is not a seagoing type, I really don't think a 14-hr ferry ride will make her think fondly of NL. Yes, it's big &amp; safe, but it's a FERRY, not a cruise ship. Plus, it's not very cheap. Even Port aux Basques to NS is $100(All Can $) for a cabin, on top of the $140 for the car &amp; passengers (there are &quot;dormitory sleepers&quot; basically like train berths fairly cheap, see http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/index.shtml)
Those who tell you that the main highway St. John's - Port aux Basques is the least attractive part of the island are RIGHT. Notre Dame park is a nice spot, but the scenic &amp; historic parts of NL are coastal, as Twillingate will definitely show you. You might look into a B&amp;B in Lewisporte, a pretty little town only 8 miles off the highway. The NL tourism site should have options: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/#.

Getting married in NL -- I have no idea of the legal complexities for an American, but there would be plenty of neat places -- Cape Spear, a national park &amp; the most easterly point, comes to mind. You'll have to find yourself a judge/ commissioner -- &amp; remember the whole province only has 500,000 people, so there aren't dozens of them around. And Newfoundland weather is famous for unpredictability, so there is NO time when dry &amp; warm weather can be promised. Having said all these discouraging words, I remember having seen newspaper articles about people visiting from England &amp; getting married here, so it can be done.
Hope you have a great time -- I think the entire eastern seaboard is gorgeous--I've had several trips through New England -- &amp; I hope you enjoy your holiday in my country as much as I enjoyed my time in yours!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -