Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Losing my mind: Travel bw Montreal and Quebec City

Aug 4th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

We are taking our first real vacation with our 9-month old this month (three days in Montreal and then two in Quebec City) and I still can't decide how to get between the two cities.

It's a long drive from Boston to Montreal and then back home again from QC, so I hate to add six more hours of driving by taking the car between the two cities, especially since we don't need the car in QC for just two nights. I don't think the baby is going to be too happy about being confined in the car seat all that time.

But the train seems really expensive, especially if we go "VIA1" class (I was thinking that might have more legroom to let the baby stand up). And my husband thinks we'll have WAY too much stuff (stroller etc.) to deal with trying to take it all on the train.

Our hotel in Montreal is the Hilton Bonaventure which I *think* is right above the train station, right? It wouldn't be that hard to get our luggage down there, I don't think ... ?

Then I worry that the train would be even worse for traveling with a baby because he still wouldn't have room to move around and if he fussed it would drive everyone else crazy. At least in a car you can stop and take a break. I don't know if there's room on the train to walk up and down the aisles or whatever. But all that driving ... ugh.

I feel like this decision could make or break the trip for us -- and you can see I'm nervous about traveling with an infant. ANY advice welcome!

Laurie
Boston
Aug 4th, 2004, 07:50 AM

I think you are overthinking it and should just relax and enjoy.

I actually don't think you need the extra room on VIA. There isn't so much more room that it will be make-or-break.

The nice thing about the train is that you can get up, walk around, something you can't do in a car. Also, the vibrations of the train may actually help your little one sleep.

I guess the question is what are you going to do with your car while in Quebec. Are you just going to park it in Montreal? Couldn't you leave some of your parapheralia in the car and not lug everything with you?

Aug 4th, 2004, 09:20 AM
MF

lauriebr,

I travel frequently between Toronto and MTL and really like VIA1. The advantage with VIA1 beside the leg room is that you can have a reserved seat (plus a decent meal but with only a short trip between MTL and Quebec City, a meal is not as important).

The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is the hotel just above the train station. However, the Bonaventure Hilton is just across the street. Either of these hotels is fine from a distance point of view.

I don't know how long the train ride takes but it is only 2hrs and 15 minutes between Mtl and Quebec City. You mentioned that it would be a long drive between Quebec City and Boston (which I agree). Would it be possible to spend a night in Montreal (or somewhere else) on the way back to cut some of the travel?

Have a nice trip.
Aug 4th, 2004, 09:57 AM

I always find the drive home to be the longest, since I never want my vacations to end so we always break up that drive (to NYC) with a night at The Sagamore on Lake George.
There are other places in the vicinity if you want to do the same.
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Is it really only 2 hrs. 15 min. between the two cities? That would be fine to drive -- the baby will sleep the whole way. We are also thinking of staying somewhere along the return trip to break up that long drive.

Maybe we should just drive the whole thing and forget the train. Hmmm.

Laurie
Aug 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Forget about the train. It's not that far to drive, and consider that you still have to transfer between the VIA station in QC and your hotel, it's easier to just drive there.
Aug 4th, 2004, 05:24 PM

BTW, Montreal to Quebec City is only 250km, so it's under 2.5 hours.

And going home from QC to Boston, you take Autoroute 20 west, and then you can go south on Autoroute 55, which becomes I-91 in VT. So, you're saving some distance that way too, and it's only about an hour more than Montreal-Boston.
Aug 5th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all these responses, folks. It's helped me make up my mind -- we'll drive the whole thing. I'll pick out a place to stay along the return route for one more night, White Mountains area in NH probably, and that will complete our vacation.

Thank you so much for the advice and help!

Laurie
Aug 7th, 2004, 04:51 PM

I just returned from Montreal and Quebec. We were on a bus tour and the bus ride was about three hours with a stop in between. Our tour guide told us the train ride was three hours IF all went well. He said they often have problems with the trains and it can take eight hours!! Drive your car and you'll get there faster!