Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for recommendations for Toronto hotel for wedding anniversary

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I decided to spend our wedding anniversary this year (Labour Day weekend) in Toronto (we're from Ottawa). We'll be taking advantage of the Via Rail promotion, so we'll be arriving and leaving from Union Station.

I'm looking for hotel recommendations. We're looking to spend no more than around $160 a night. We'd like a room with a queen or king bed, and want a centrally located hotel so we can walk or take public transit to the sites.

I've had a look at the Novotel Centre and it seems nice. They have a special at $139 per night. Has anyone stayed there?

Do you have any other recommendations? Would the Royal York be out of our price range?

Thanks
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:33 AM

Try any of the classic Fairmont hotels -they are really beautiful hotels with lovely Canadiana ambiance. They often have special rates and packages. I usually stay in Fairmont hotels when I'm in Canada - several times per year - and enjoy my stays immensely.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:42 AM

Hi pavfec, I have no hotel recommendation except my brother who comes here on business quite often insists on Cambridge Suites which is also right downtown.

Porter Air flies from Ottawa to Toronto (and vice versa) for $59+ from the Toronto Island Airport several times per day.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, ladies. Julia, I noted down the Fairmont Royal York as a definite possibility. I also saw the Cambridge Suites, but I'm not sure whether they have regular rooms (we don't need a kitchenette since we're staying 2 or 3 days).

Thanks for the tip about Porter. I knew they served Ottawa. I just had a look at the dates we're looking at and tickets are $79 before taxes. I think it would end up costing more than the train, and we'd prefer to take the train, which we haven't done in a long time.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:20 AM

Second the Royal York; atmospheric and romantic. The Westin Harbour Castle is nice, but a bit out of the way at the lakeshore. Other possibilities include the Hilton, Sheraton (across from City Hall), and Delta Chelsea (usually cheapest).

There are also a number of boutique hotels downtown, if you are more interested in a small hotel experience.

Check tomorrow's Toronto Star travel section; there are often weekend specials for downtown hotels offered by the chains.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM

i think that you will find that the Royal York is out of your price range, unless you can find a special rate somewhere. I think that you will find the rates are similar to the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. I've stayed at the Novotel and it was fine. The location is quite central for sightseeing, and close to the subway.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM
wow

Hi, pavec: Congratulations on your Anniversary! AS you now, Labour Day weekend will be a busy one in TO so you are wise to book something now.

Novotel is a good basic hotel in a great downtown location. The Royal York is directly across from Union Station ( & Novotel is just south of that same area). If you decide to increase your budget, I wld highly recommend the RY but your current $160 will not do it.

There is also Hotel Le Germain in DT Tor. but I have not stayed there. I really like the one in Montreal so you may want to check Le Germain in Toronto.( Or, maybe you want to go to Montreal for your anniversary!!! LOL I looove Montreal!)

Others to consider: Holiday Inn Select on King, The Sheraton on Queen St. West ( connects to underground shopping & maybe even all the way South to Union Station but I can't remember...somebody else here can confirm or deny that UG connection for you?),
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
BAK

DEpending on how much luggage, the Novatel, Strathcona, Intercontinental on Front Stret,

RAdisson on Queen's Quey is walkable, too.

For that matter, you can walk to others, but it starts to become a bit on the long side.

LEGermain might be a good bet, but may be too much money, too.

Add the Cosmopolitan and One King West to the list to check out. They are on eiother side of Yionge Street, south of King, right downtown.

But don't VIA have hotels as part of the package?

BAK
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM

I've stayed at the Novotel Centre twice and highly recommend it for its great location and value. It is in walking distance to the St.Lawrence Market area, with its Saturday market. You can also get to Yonge Street and the Toronto Eaton Centre, the downtown shopping centre.

For dining, I highly recommend Le Papillon which is about two blocks away from the hotel. There is also the Old Spaghetti Factory, which has more than just spaghetti.

Happy anniversary
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional recommendations. BAK, we'll each have a weekend bag, so either walking or public transport won't be a problem. The Via Rail promotion is only for the ticket, but in any case, I prefer to find a hotel ourselves (and the Hotel search function on the Via website is actually Expedia.ca).

I'll let you know what we decide. We have to wait and find out whether I'm going back to school in September, which will affect the number of nights we stay and how much we can spend per night on a room.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Hi Pavfec.

The Royal York is beautiful. A sight in itself. I often grab a coffee and a book and sit in the lobby waiting for my commuter train to go home. You can certainly still enjoy it without staying there (the rooms are actually quite small, in the old world euro way)

One King is a lil out of your price range too (although if you want to risk it you can always see who slashes their prices as the summer comes to an end.

I almost always use Hotwire for booking my hotels in Canada. I know it's a bit of a grab bag, and if you haven't used Hotwire, then you'll be holding your breath for the 30 seconds as you give them your credit card info without knowing what hotel you are at, but trust me, you won't get better deals.

Currently, there is a downtown 4 star hotel offered for Sept 1 at $75 per night. You will not get anything cheaper than this, let alone a 4 star.

To give you some personal examples, I stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle (foot of Yonge Street, down by the Harbour for $80 (all in) and in Montreal I paid $75 for Hilton Bonaventure.

Their map is very specific (downtown Toronto is lake to Bloor, Bathurst to Yonge. Can't get much more downtown than that. 4 star examples are:
Intercontinental, Hyatt, Westin

Would love to know what happens if you do go this route.

Good luck and be brave