Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for ideas on Vancouver/Victoria/B.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My wife and I (late 20's/early 30's) are looking at Vancouver/Victoria/B.C. for about 9 days. We've never been there before, and I don't know all that much about the area. I have a couple of preliminary questions for the group, which has provided excellent feedback in the past: 1) would Vancouver/Victoria/Seattle be too ambitious for nine days? 2) I've read a little bit about Chinatown, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, and Grouse Mountain. What other attractions/areas would be "musts" for our trip? Thanks for your help!

Frank
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

I forogt to mention: we are looking to go in mid/late June, in case that influences any recommendations...

fcj
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM

I have two places that I always recommend to people who visit Victoria.
The first is Butchart Gardens.
I am not a garden person, but that place is special. The second is the Royal BC Museum downtown near the harbor. It is a relatively small museum, but it is extremely well done.
It focuses on British Columbia.

The last time we were there we stumbled into a exhibition of Egyptian artifacts.
As we were leaving, we stopped for a lecuture on mummies and mummification.
The lecturer knew his stuff and we did not leave, any of us, until security personnel ask us out. It was 30 minutes after the closing bell.

There is plenty to see and do in Vancouver that has been documented elsewhere on this forum. And others know more about the place than I do. So I will leave that to those more expert.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Hello frankcjames,

Yes, it can be done.

I would recommend 3 days Vancouver, 2 days Victoria, 2 days Seattle, plus travel time.

If you go to the Destinations section of Fodor's, near the top left hand corner of this screen, you'll find very good notes on each of these cities.

The Vancouver page of my website has my thoughts about Vancouver, plus it has links to great websites that have been created by people who live there:

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...vancouver.msnw

Here is my page about transportation to and from Victoria (whether you're approaching from or continuing to Vancouver or Seattle). I have covered car / ferry, bus / ferry and floatplane options.

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...ortation1.msnw

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Hi Frank,

I agree with Bob Brown's suggestions on two highlights for Victoria. In addition, when in Vancouver, be sure to see the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia. Wonderful collection of First Nations art - something you won't see in such a grand collection anywhere else.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Hi I live in Vancouver. I would suggest driving to Whistler for 1 night. Being your ages I think you would love the young Whistler vibes. Also I would go to Lynn Canyon suspension bridge in North Vancouver over Capilano. Capilano to me is a tourist trap. Lynn Canyon is free. Go over the bridge and then hike to the left for about 20 min down to a pretty pool. Rent bikes or roller blade around Stanley park sea wall. Walk down Robson street and people watch. Eat at the Gyosa King on Robson near Denman. It's inexpensive and the Gyosa are to die for. Go South to White Rock, a suburb near the border. Walk the promanade and Pier along Semiahmoo Bay and have dinner at one of the many restaurants. Take the Gondola to the top of Grouse mountain or drive up Cyprus Mountain to the look out 3/4 of the way up. The views of the city are magnificent Go to Steveston Village in Richmond for fish and chips. Go to either china town or on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights from 7 -midnight in the summer there is the Richmond night market. Off Bridgeport road near Ikea behind the home depot. This is an oriental market. Food clothes ect. You feel like you've been transported to China. It is lot's of fun and a real education. Bartering is expected. Have fun. Victoria and Seattle are also beautiful. On the back to Seattle. Get off the I-5 in Bellingham at Lakeview drive and take Chuckanut drive south. It is very scenic at the end you can connect back up with the I-5 south to Seattle
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Also a visit to Grandville Island Market and the shops is fun You can take a sea bus over to the city. walk down Robson and take the sea bus back.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the feedback from everyone! One thought I have is exploring a little more of Vancouver Island, which might take Seattle off of the itinerary (but just means we'll have to come back sometime). Is there an area on the island that would be worth spending a couple of days at? Looking for some balance from the city environment. where might be a good place to base out of? I know this is pretty broad, but I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks! Frank
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Hi frankcjames I'd head to Tofino for 2 nights. Its about a 5 hour drive from Victoria. From there do a day trip on a zodiac boat up to Hot Springs cove. We did this a few years ago and it was great. We saw bears fishing at the base of a river, went into a giant sea cave and then saw grey whales on the outside passage onthe way back. The hot spring is 1/2hour walk down a boardwalk through the forest. The hot river meets the ocean and there are several pools to swim in
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Just to add a wee bit to Weasel's comments. Hot springs cove has been rated as the best natural hot springs in North America. Those pools are completely natural ,all rocks and are about 3 times the size of a bathtub. Personally I don't even bother with the whale watching tours, I head straight for the hot springs.