Looking for fellow travellers

Sep 5th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Original Poster
Looking for fellow travellers

I'm currently in Nova Scotia but really hoping to get up to Newfoundland, in particular to Gros Morne National Park. I'm travelling solo, but thought it best not to go off camping and hiking in those incredible mountains alone. I'm looking to do about a week-long trip some time in the next three weeks. If anyone is interested in going with me (I'm a New Zealander in my 20s), or knows someone who is, please get in touch!
Sep 6th, 2017, 01:50 AM
I don’t think you should be too concerned about travelling alone to Gros Morne You will be staying in in a developed campground where there will be other campers. There are numerous hiking trails of various lengths that are well marked. Climbing Gros Morne itself can be intimidating and dangerous due to unpredictable weather but there are lots of other routes. The only encounter with wildlife you should be concerned about is is hitting moose on the highway--that causes a few fatalities in the province each year--but if you stay alert and avoid driving in the dark and you should be fine.

I suggest you call the park and ask what facilities and campgrounds are open at this time of year, and ask about safety concerns. Hope you make it there; it’s fabulous park with some truly unique geology.
Sep 11th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Also, for the long-range hikes (Gros Morne Mtn, Western Brook Gorge) you are asked to leave an itinerary with the park headquarters, to ensure no one is missing without information about their expected return.

Search this Thread