Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Looking for a cold place to visit during my school break (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/looking-for-a-cold-place-to-visit-during-my-school-break-1028774/)

nerddowell Oct 26th, 2014 01:16 PM

Looking for a cold place to visit during my school break

I'm a NYC high school teacher and off from December 23rd to January 5th. I always travel for a few days after Christmas to a city someplace in the United States or Canada that is very cold. Last year I went Minneapolis and the year before to Portland Maine. I pick cities by the fact they are easy to get to (from and to the airport) and I don't need a car so much as I'm not a driver

I've been to Toronto, Boston , Chicago, Minneapolis,Montreal, Winnipeg, Portland Me, Portland Oregon, Vancouver, Denver. Niagra Falls, San Francisco, Seattle (if that counts)

Don't need fancy accommodations either. Just an interesting downtown, dive bars or night life. Places I can walk.

Don't want to break the bank as it's only for a couple of days. Just a quick escape.

Any suggestions appreciated

Peter

AndrewDavid Oct 26th, 2014 03:53 PM

peter, most of the country will be cold, even here in balmy victoria on the canadian riviera. how about halifax NS?

cheers
AndrewDavid

nerddowell Oct 26th, 2014 04:09 PM

Yes, I've been to Halifax. I love Canada. Go often. I like the unique cold. NYC, where I live gets cold, but not like Minneapolis cold etc. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Southam Oct 27th, 2014 03:00 AM

Quebec City. Fairly convenient to get to from NYC; lots going on inside and out; and far enough north that it's pretty certain to be colder than your home, if not quite reaching the depths of February when the famous winter carnival defies the elements.

panecott Oct 27th, 2014 03:15 PM

Burlington, VT? Easy to fly into; nice pedestrian mall; everything is walkable in town.

I'm not much of a bar person but there's a college there so I'm sure there must be nightlife.

ltt Oct 27th, 2014 05:32 PM

quebec city is suppose to be very nice during the holidays. considering the weather which can often cause flight delays at that time of year, i'd probably try to stick to the east coast...to cut down on flight times. ottawa? it would probably break the bank and a long flight but banff, alberta is a lovely place to be over the holidays. you could take a shuttle from the calgary airport to banff. you could spend a couple of days walking around town...a spa treatment and sitting in the hot springs. you could even take one of the shuttles up to one of the ski hills and just hang out around there for a few hours.

tomfuller Oct 31st, 2014 12:16 PM

Fly to Winnipeg and then take the ViaRail train to Churchill.
The polar bears will probably be back out on the ice on Hudson Bay.

ImmigrationOverseas Nov 3rd, 2014 08:19 PM

You can visit Val-d’Or, Quebec, also you can take the Plunge in Vancouver.

CharlesRay Nov 4th, 2014 02:22 AM

Whistler is one of the top destinations for heli-skiing and catskiing worldwide. you can visit there.

NorthwestMale Nov 5th, 2014 01:41 PM

I was just reading the other day about how Fargo has evolved and modernized, and it made me stop to consider whether I should see it again. No doubt Fargo can get more "cold" than do most of the cities on your list, but IF you factor-out the weather, then Fargo just might merit at least some research.

panecott Nov 6th, 2014 11:39 AM

The OP hasn't been back since October 26th.