Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Looking for a campsite for a summer program (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/looking-for-a-campsite-for-a-summer-program-1030999/)

yossi Nov 27th, 2014 07:31 AM

Looking for a campsite for a summer program

Does anybody know a cabin/bunkhouse campgrounds available for rent in the summer for six weeks? I work in a school in Ontario and we are making a summer learning program for approx 100 students. We need basic basic cabins for the students, a couple of nicer cabins for the teachers families and activities on site - swimming, sports fields, etc.
We bring in our own chef, all we need is an actual grounds to rent.

teacherCanada Nov 28th, 2014 06:14 PM

Well Yossi, I wish you well trying to find the situation you describe. Summer in Ontario is the only real season that cabins/bunkhouses get used and it would be unusual for them to be available for one week, let alone six.

You might try contacting established camps in the Gravenhurst area (Olympia comes to mind), near Ottawa, Midwestern Ontario or the Bruce Peninsula and ask them if they know of any properties that have either gone out of business or have unused areas. Please remember to factor in other costs, such as insurance if you are running a camp like this - especially if you offer swimming and sports opportunities. The logistics can be daunting.

tC

yossi Nov 29th, 2014 02:48 PM

thank you for the advice, We are actually happy to take something in the US if there is something available, I will just have to wait and see what comes up.

kgsneds Dec 1st, 2014 07:29 AM

I agree that logistics could be daunting, especially insurance. Our school did similar things, but for a weekend only and during the school year - would also agree that finding such a facility for 6 weeks in the summer is going to be a huge challenge. You are essentially talking about starting a summer camp - and that is a full time job, usually requiring years of planning and multiple people.

You'd have to have insurance, chaperone/counselor staff, food prep (one cook cannot begin to handle meals for 100 people), medical staff, plus all the various permits for running an overnight facility and for food preparation (the kitchen would need to be inspected and all the food prep staff would have to take the appropriate courses). Or you'd have to find a facility that can provide the appropriate staff, and those facilities would almost certainly not be available for 6 weeks for 100 people - they might book a week or two at a time.

Running the camp in the US could be really difficult to impossible as you'd have to have to deal with the issues of crossing the border - every child and chaperone and staff member would need a passport, plus signed/notarized documentation from the parent(s)/guardian(s) allowing a non-parent/guardian to take the child across the border. And every child would need travel insurance to cover medical costs in the US. An remember that unless people have US citizenship/valid green card, they cannot work in the US, so you could run into issues with paying Canadians to work in the US...

I suspect the combined costs/logistics of travel, insurance and paperwork would make the US a non starter. Are any of the kids/chaperones non US/CAN citizens so might need a visa to enter the US or not be allowed in for 6 weeks? Are any unable to afford passports/insurance? Do any have complicated guardianship situations where they might not be able to get permission from both/all parents/guardians?

yossi Dec 1st, 2014 12:55 PM

thank you for the response. The truth is, two thirds of the students are actually americans and a lot of the canadians have american citizenship also. Regarding the expenses we would have a sponsor for the program in addition to what each student would pay.

teacherCanada Dec 1st, 2014 06:36 PM

Hi Yossi
It sounds like you already have a good idea of where this program is headed. My only follow-up thought is to consider a larger private campground where you could rent a portion of the campgrounds wherein you could place your students and leaders. I am sure you could negotiate a food tent/dispensary type of facility. If it is an already established camping area there would likely be some rec facilities nearby for swimming, sports fields, but not necessarily right by your accommodations.

Oops, another thought - contact your local Scouting organization (BSA) and see if any of their camping areas are available. Their network is truly amazing and their dedication to outdoor experiences is second to none.

I do hope you are able to make this work - it seems like a great program. Would you please let us know what transpires?

tC

yossi Dec 3rd, 2014 09:26 AM

I definitley will (let you know) and thanks for the advice.

yossi Dec 3rd, 2014 03:45 PM

*definitely