Lodging Recommendations for 10-11 day Canacian Rockies Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2018, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be flying into Calgary on Saturday Morning.

My plan is for us to stay in Lake Louise at one of the lake Resorts.the first night, and then to drive the parkway to Jasper the second day.

Our choices are a major hotel in Jasper, or a cabin with a full kitchen halfway between Japser and Hinton. Lots of lodging choices in Hinton but thought the cabins or jasper would be preferable. Looking for your input.

For our stay in Banff, 5 nights, I have a choice of a HIdden Ridge Resort (ski condo) or the Rimrock Resort hotel. ONe has a kitchen is the main difference, although the hotel looks pretty spectacular.

Our last night will be in a hotel near the airport in Calgary since we will be leaving early in the morning.

Looking for input from those of you in the know.

Thank you in advance for your help. Susan
Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:55 PM

I would choose the Rimrock if I could afford it.. have you read the reviews on Hidden.. paper thin walls.. and stagette parties etc..

I would also choose to stay in Jasper over Hinton.
Old May 4th, 2018, 10:44 AM

Search for reviews on those places
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a HI Hostel not far from the north end of the Parkway about 5km SW of Jasper. It has a good kitchen, and a large common room with a stone fireplace. They have some private rooms and female and coed dorms. I've stayed there several times, solo and with my wife. Not as fancy as a hotel, but better than most cabins IMO.
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:56 AM

Not a fan of that hostel, and fortunately they are starting work on a new hostel which will replace it within the next year or so.

The dorm rooms are large, and the female dorm in particular is very poorly soundproofed. The dorm lights are also turned on and off at set times (even if everyone is fine with them going off/on sooner or later). The kitchen is OK, but aging and can get crowded when the hostel is busy. And I think it's been the rare time when I've been there that at least one shower or toilet was out of commission - and with just three in each washroom, not great at busy times. Not been in the private rooms, but I suspect they share the soundproofing issues and I think you'd be sharing the washrooms with the dorm rooms.

I'd definitely go for a private home accommodation if you can find one that works with your budget and needs -- for not much more than a private room in the hostel, you can get something much nicer and much more convenient to everything in the townsite. www.stayinjasper.com