Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Lodging in Kelowna and Nelson? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/lodging-in-kelowna-and-nelson-555734/)

FLheart Aug 31st, 2005 09:05 PM

Lodging in Kelowna and Nelson?

Help! Need suggestions for hotels in these areas. Nicer ones (Manteo, Eldorado, etc) pricing out at apx $250 a night which is over my budget! Would like something less than $150. September must be the high season. Anyone familiar with Capri Coast Hotel in Kelowna? Any info appreciated. Thanks!

traveller69 Sep 1st, 2005 08:46 PM

The Coast Capri is a very nice hotel. They have recently renovated the rooms and it has plenty of ammenities. I can certainly recommend it. Its in a good location too.

Carmanah Sep 2nd, 2005 07:30 AM

I stayed at the Coast Capri hotel. It's inland from the lake by several blocks (or a 20-30 minute walk), but a short 5 minute drive to the beach and downtown Kelowna. It's right next to a shopping centre with restaurants and whatnot, so it's convenient. The room we stayed in was rather nice and comfy, however, I recall that it wasn't cheap when we stayed, which was late August.

Lynette Sep 3rd, 2005 04:09 PM

The Coast is fine. It is located right on the highway, The Vintage room restaurant there is wonderful.
A couple of other options that you might want to consider: Lakeshore Inn www.lakeshoreinn.com
or the Siesta
www.siestamotorinn.com
There is also a nice Holiday Inn in Westbank

cdnintx Sep 4th, 2005 01:03 PM

Hello FLheart,
Nelson raised, and at your service! I return to the Nelson area every year, and I'm a frequent visitor to Kelowna and Vernon.
Yes, I agree with your assessment - the prices have really jumped these past few years.
I stayed at the Best Western, Kelowna in July. The hotel has a new tower, and older low-rise accomodations. It was convenient to shopping, restaurants, etc. I know the price was under 200, but we stayed in the new tower, and didn't reserve ahead. I'm sure you could get a better price than we did. The room was new, clean, and had a balcony.
I've also stayed at the Capri and had no problem there. It was clean, central, and we had a room facing the pool / courtyard.

Nelson has many B&Bs; does that interest you at all? If so, the Casa Blanca is very pretty and historic. The owners are very friendly.
A full service hotel on the lake, in town is the Prestige Inn. Get a room with a balcony facing facing the water / mountain, and you'll have a lovely sunset everyday for happy hour!
Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip!

FLheart Sep 5th, 2005 12:43 PM

Thank you everyone! Your response is appreciated very much. I am not familiar with the layout of these areas so the reference of location is helpful. DH is a light sleeper so noise in the B&B's is usually a concern for him. But I will check into Casa Blanca. The Best Western is booked, as many others seem to be for 9/7-9/17. Capri is available and is around $119 not bad, but lakefront would probably be more desireable than in town? Thanks again, can't wait to get there!

BowenLinda Sep 5th, 2005 03:54 PM

FLheart, another mom and I stayed with our kids at the Kelowna Lakeshore in mid-August. $195 a night per room, each with two double beds and a "convenience" kitchen. Both of our rooms were facing the lake, with the swimming pool, hot tub and grassy areas right outside our door. A public beach (sandy) was next door. I know it's less expensive staying on the rear side of the building, and September prices should also be lower.

We were at first disappointed with the Lakeshore as it is a two-story motel-like property, albeit with nice amenities. The Manteo and Eldorado are located on the other side of the property, and all are connected by a boardwalk. However after our first night I was pleased we stayed at the Lakeshore, and would return to it.

Cheers,
Linda

cdnintx Sep 6th, 2005 09:30 AM

FLheart,
Here's the website for the Nelson B&B and the hotel:

casablancanelson.com

prestigeinn.com
click on locations
click on Nelson "Lakeside"
(there are 2 properties)

Note about Nelson:
The b&b is across from Lakeside Park, the waterfront trail, and a streetcar stop at the Park. Or, 5 min drive to Baker St shops/restaurants. If you like to walk, it's an easy 20-30 min stroll mostly on the waterfornt trail.

At the other end of the streetcar line is the Prestige Inn. It is on the lake, adjacent to the marina, 1 block to the mall, 3+ blocks(uphill) to Baker St shops and restaurants.
Good Luck and Happy Travels!