Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   lodging in Jasper (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/lodging-in-jasper-402645/)

koi Feb 23rd, 2004 12:15 PM

lodging in Jasper

I am deciding between the Tekarra Lodge, Alpine Village, Becker Chalets and Pyramid Lake Lodge. We like to be near the water and like to see a lot of wildlife. Anyone stay at any of the places mentioned?

maj Feb 23rd, 2004 02:51 PM

We did not have a good experience with Alpine Village. We thought the rooms were small and cabins crowded together (and the bathroom floor was not clean). Also, they mixed up our reservations and we had to move the last night. We ended up staying that night at Beckers and wished we had spent the whole time there. As far as wildlife goes, it probably depends on the time of year you go. We didn't see or hear anything while at Alpine Village but saw and heard elk while staying at Beckers. We went in the fall. Both places were close to a river. It also depends on how long you will be there. Alpine Village has no immenities like restaurant, laundry facilities, etc. It had a small hot tub that nobody was in while we were there. Beckers has a restaurant (which is not cheap) but they will make you lunches to take with you during the day.It was a much friendlier place to stay between those two. The first 3 you mentioned are all in the same general area, between the Icefields Parkway and the town of Jasper--but very convenient to both. We didn't see the Pyramid Lake Lodge.

Judy_in_Calgary Feb 23rd, 2004 04:38 PM

Here's a good thread about lodgings in Jasper:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34465517

I suppose any place that is outside of "downtown Jasper" (I use the term loosely, since it's a small town) would be more likely to have wildlife around it. That would include Becker's and Pyramid Lake.

But, by my standards, there is no such thing as "a lot of wildlife" ANYWHERE in the Rockies. I grew up in the Southern African bush, amidst herds of THOUSANDS of impala, wildebeest, zebra, etc.

Please don't misunderstand me. I love the Rockies. But, if one is to enjoy landscapes, one has to take each one on its own merits.

Borealis Feb 23rd, 2004 04:45 PM

We have stayed at all four of the places that you mentioned koi.

Our favourite by far is Becker's Chalets. The units are comfortable and clean, the setting by the Athabasca River is very scenic, and yes, we have seen quite a bit of wildlife there (although not lions, wildebeest, zebra or hyena ;-)) ). In the evening or at dawn you are likely to see elk or deer, and you'll see squirrels anytime of the day.

Pyramid Lake Resort is in a very pretty setting by a lake. The units themselves are fairly standard, but I can't recall anything negative about them. The last time we stayed there was two years ago while showing some visitors from Europe our fabulous Rockies. We woke up one morning to find a young moose nibbling on some grass right in front of our windows!! (it was July). We have also seen young black bears wandering around Pyramid Lake.

As for Alpine Village and Tekarra Lodge, it has been a while since we have stayed in either of the two places. In fact I can't remember Tekarra although my hubby insists that we did stay there, so it must have been quite unremarkable.
However, we spent one of our most memorable holidays at Alpine Village. The cabins were cute (perfect for the two of us), the fireplaces were wood burning (as apposed to gas), and it was a comfortable base for hiking and walking and cycling. Mind you, that was 10 years ago, and things do change.

By the way - it wouldn't be unusual to see elk or deer right in town, and I have noticed that there is a herd of elk that wander along the side of the Icefield Parkway between Jasper townsite and Becker's Chalets (grass grows along the road), so you would have to very unlucky NOT to see some North American wildlife :-)

BrendaM Mar 12th, 2004 06:28 PM

I've stayed at Tekarra Lodge twice, last summer the latest. It is located about 1-2 miles out of town along the Athabasca River. Accommodations are cabins, either duplex or single standing. Ask for single standing as they are quieter. We were in a duplex last year and the bathroom walls between units were paper thin and we could hear everything going on next door. Cabins are cute and quaint with wood burning fireplaces and wood floors. Beds were confortable. The cabins in back along the river are the best as you are close to the bank that overlooks the river and can sit and watch the river flow by. We saw rafters one evening. The Takarra Lodge restaurant is very good, a bit expensive, but very nice. Breakfast is a buffet only but convenient. No minimum night stay.

R Mar 13th, 2004 12:17 AM

Have a bit more feedback to offer, but not sure if you've already settled on a spot, koi? If you're still checking this post & needing more info, let us know. :-)

atilla Mar 15th, 2004 07:08 AM

hi koi
I have stayed at Takerra and Beckers and much prefer Beckers. Much cleaner accomodations and very scenic. Sitting by the Athabasca river watching the rafters with morning coffee is such a treat. We also went to Alpine Village one day just to get some info on their accommodations and found the clerk at the front desk to be very rude and abrupt, hence we have never stayed there.
Hope this helps, have a great time!